Speed Limit across UT salt flats

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

lmackattack

Whats the passenger speed limit across the salt flats?

I was pacing a Amtrack Train the other night at about 85-87MPH.

lmackattack

Thanks Greg.

My speedometer must be off a little.. It was about 1am and I was driving a semi truck. I had her to the floor trying to keep up with that train across the salt flats. It was cool because you could see the signals lighting up and changing colors as it aproched and met a east bout amtrack and passed a freight train. I paced it from toole all the way to windover. We slowed when we got near windover and then the hi way and tracks went out of view of each other. I was just amazed how fast it was running....

Greg Elems

That's not to say they weren't running a little hot either. :D Last time I worked out there was 1991 and I don't recall where or how much seperation between I-80 and tracks.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)