South of the Alps - 12: Landscapes around Verona (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
South of the Alps - 11: Brescia - Verona (50 p.)

The video for this part:

April 30 2019

Tuesday morning, I took R 2054 towards Milan and arrived at Peschiera del Garda at 5:58 a.m.
An unusual backpack-wearing crowd had assembled in the street in front of the station, police was blocking the main road. It turned out to be the start of the "40 Mile Ranger Challenge" from Peschiera to Torbole in memory of Colonel William Darby:

You can spot the contestants following the canal to Lake Garda to the right.
salp1201.jpg

Peschiera del Garda belongs to the so-called Quadrilateral fortresses in the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia:

Viewed from fortified Ponte dei Voltoni ("Bridge of Arches") you can see the railway bridge across Mincio River with R 20817 Brescia - Venezia Santa Lucia.
salp1202.jpg

I crossed the fortress town and followed another canal along the western walls. Some anglers had camped overnight.
salp1203.jpg

The sun rose above the layer of low clouds when a class ETR 675 as Italo 8931 Bergamo - Naples rushed past at 6:54 a.m.
salp1204.jpg

R 2056 Verona - Milano Centrale.
salp1205.jpg

Frecciarossa 9700 Venice - Milan.
salp1206.jpg

Red speedsters on water and rails in front of Ponte dei Voltoni.
salp1207.jpg

Somehow the Trenord-design reminds me of AMTRAK... R 2092 Verona - Milan.
salp1208.jpg

FR 9701 Milan - Venice.
salp1209.jpg

My object of desire appeared punctually at 7:20: Nightjet 233 Vienna - / 40295 Munich - Milan.
salp1210.jpg

salp1211.jpg

Italo 8970 Venezia S.L. - Torino Porta Nuova followed five minutes later.
salp1212.jpg

Some couples get along, others...
salp1213.jpg

Freight train hauled by class E412 constructed for Brenner Pass traffic.
salp1214.jpg

Italo 8971 Milan - Venice.
salp1215.jpg

Activity at the tents as I walked back at 7:40.
salp1216.jpg

salp1217.jpg

The cinema reminded me of modernist Asmara... some historic barracks still are in military use.
salp1218.jpg

Fortress view of FR 9703 Milano - Udine.
salp1219.jpg

Peschiera station features a classic exterior as well as interior.
salp1220.jpg

Freight with class E633 - "Tigre"-livery #1 of the day.
salp1221.jpg

Heritage track maintenance diesel paradise Italy.
salp1222.jpg

salp1223.jpg

salp1224.jpg

FR 9705 Milan - Venice arrived 20 minutes delayed at 8:34 a.m.
salp1225.jpg

Something had happened here - earthquake?
salp1226.jpg

salp1227.jpg

Returning to Verona in style by ALe582.010 as R 4897 Brescia - Verona Porta Nuova.
salp1228.jpg

It is always nice if you make it to the hotel breakfast buffet after an efficient morning photo session. Subsequently, I boarded this FLIRT EMU as R 10934 Verona - Bolzano/Bozen which took me to Avio in Trentino at noon.
salp1229.jpg

I marched northwards along SS12 and met EuroCity 81 Munich Hbf - Bologna Centrale at 12:31 p.m.
salp1230.jpg

Panoramic view, a fish farm to the left.
salp1231.jpg

I quickly changed to the other side of the unobstructed section as Frecciargento 8506 Naples - Bolzano/Bozen sped past 10 minutes later.
salp1232.jpg

11th century Castello di Sabbionara:

salp1233.jpg

salp1234.jpg

As I returned to the fish farm, I barely heard the southbound freight approaching over the constant noise from the motorway - "Tigre"-livery #2 of the day.
salp1235.jpg

Spring landscape featuring R 10940 Verona - Bolzano/Bozen.
salp1236.jpg

R 10923 Bolzano/Bozen - Verona.
salp1237.jpg

Next to the "Tigri", more striped creatures can be found on the Brenner Pass line - always in competition with the constant flood of lorries on the motorway in the background. Southbound.
salp1238.jpg

And northbound.
salp1239.jpg

EC 84 Bologna - Munich as two-picture-panorama including castle and town.
salp1240.jpg

salp1241.jpg

R 2259 Bolzano/Bozen - Bologna.
salp1242.jpg

A Brenner loco double header passed by the station, Adige/Etsch River to the right.
salp1243.jpg

A Minuetto class EMU in "Trentino"-livery as R 10929 from Bolzano/Bozen took me to Verona.
salp1244.jpg

Nobody falls down this step, is that clear!
I fetched my luggage from the hotel and boarded R 20863 Verona - Venice together with a loud school class.
salp1245.jpg

We reached Padua at 5:03 p.m., just as "Tigre"-livery #3 of the day passed by!
salp1246.jpg

At that time you could still experience the meeting of class D445 diesels at Padua (see video from minute 22:20) before electrification - I managed to encounter four engines within a few minutes on trains to Bassano del Grappa (R 5924 to the left) and Montebelluna (R 11146 to the right) as well as shunting.
salp1247.jpg

Also with loco on the opposite end.
salp1248.jpg

Next stop Venezia Mestre where the Thello EuroNight to Paris was shunted across the lagoon towards Santa Lucia terminal by its class E402B.
salp1249.jpg

I had booked my accommodation in Trieste, obviously quite a few people returned home for the May 1st holiday. My ticket was valid for the following Regionale Veloce 2799 dep. 6:53, Trieste Centrale arr. 8:46 p.m. - it turned out to be not too overcrowded.
salp1250.jpg

A Trieste special next: featuring a surprise, as it was not my only time that year visiting... :0)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back