South of the Alps - 11: Brescia - Verona (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
South of the Alps - 10: Steam along Lago Iseo II (50 p.)

April 28 2019

A special train for pilgrims to Lourdes at Verona Porta Nuova station Sunday morning.
salp1101.jpg

Frecciarossa 1000 9798 Venice - Milan met slightly delayed Frecciarossa 9705 Milan - Venice.
salp1102.jpg

salp1103.jpg

salp1104.jpg

We reached Brescia at 9:30 a.m., just as R 2059 Milano - Verona arrived on platform 1.
salp1105.jpg

September 15 2019

I wanted to stroll through Brescia city centre after my excursion to Lago Iseo in September - aided by city transport: since 2013, the 17th largest city in Italy (however, third largest industrial region) is the proud owner of the country's seventh underground system:

salp1106.jpg

At the main train station, you have to descend quite a bit. The metro stations are designed creatively including historic images, like this steam engine factory.
salp1107.jpg

Cool idea.
salp1108.jpg

I only took the underground one stop to Vittoria.
salp1109.jpg

Brescia offers much more than the metro, including historically important early Christian sites and a Forum Romanum:

salp1110.jpg

I ate well for dinner near the New Cathedral.
salp1111.jpg

Walking down to Vittoria station, you can find this old trolleybus image with cathedral. Maybe you remember the faded "Birra Wührer"-ad on a house from the previous report part...
salp1112.jpg

Back at the railway station after nine o'clock: R 88 was ready to depart towards Iseo, when a super-mini-almost-full-moon (on the furthest orbital point from Earth) showed up behind the crenellations of the station building.
salp1113.jpg

Freight train photography at night - yes, we can!
salp1114.jpg

Catenary mast shadow.
salp1115.jpg

Thello EuroNight 220 Venezia Santa Lucia - Paris Gare de Lyon arrived late in moonshine and met my Nightjet 235 to Vienna. I had a long night ahead of me as we were punctual up to Villach, but then waited for the train part from Rome. In the end we arrived almost exactly two hours late at Vienna Meidling - at least that enabled me to reclaim 50% of the ticket price.
salp1116.jpg

April 28 2019

Back on the Easter trip, I returned to Verona by R 2079 at 7:32 p.m.
salp1117.jpg

salp1118.jpg

Monday started rather grey and drizzly, so I rested.

Verona morning impressions can be found in my report from 2016:
Eastern... Alpine Tour? - 1: O Romeo! (50 p.)

The following captures were taken at Verona Porta Nuova before noon on April 30 2019.
salp1119.jpg

ALe582.010.
salp1120.jpg

EuroCity 80 to Munich.
salp1121.jpg

salp1122.jpg

salp1123.jpg

April 29 2019

Monday evening, the sky was bright and blue, so I went on a city tour. I had done plenty of sightseeing in all these cities in the 1990s, so I was out to enjoy the atmosphere - and for balcony photography, of course.
salp1124.jpg

Battlement-impressions viewed from Ponte di Castelvecchio across Adige/Etsch River.
salp1125.jpg

The Roman arena and Palazzo della Ragione on Piazza delle Erbe.
salp1126.jpg

salp1127.jpg

salp1128.jpg

salp1129.jpg

A duck's view across the river towards Castel San Pietro.
salp1130.jpg

salp1131.jpg

Verona offers rail-bound city transport again since 2017. A funicular which only had been in operation 1941-44 has been reconstructed:

salp1132.jpg

Alright, it's just a glorified lift - but better than nothing.
salp1133.jpg

salp1134.jpg

salp1135.jpg

Castel San Pietro.
salp1136.jpg

salp1137.jpg

Shadow of San Giorgio in Braida church.
salp1138.jpg

salp1139.jpg

salp1140.jpg

salp1141.jpg

Roman Ponte Pietra ("stone bridge").
salp1142.jpg

Sunset behind Ponte di Castelvecchio.
salp1143.jpg

salp1144.jpg

Final sunlight on the battlements of Castelvecchio.
salp1145.jpg

I returned to Hotel Ark near the station, the following photos were taken in the evening of April 28 2019.
salp1146.jpg

Frecciarossa 9758 Trieste - Milan arrived late at 8:17 p.m.
salp1147.jpg

My hotel in the distance.
salp1148.jpg

salp1149.jpg

Next time, we will venture out into the landscape around Verona! :)
salp1150.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back