South of the Alps - 10: Steam along Lago Iseo II (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
South of the Alps - 9: Steam along Lago Iseo I (50 p.)

The video for this part:

September 15 2019

We return to Toline at 11:30 a.m., just as 740.278 hauling "Iseo Express" Brescia - Pisogne was racing a little pink bike.
salp1001.jpg

A parade of heritage cars showed up on the road, soon afterwards DE 520-016 (ex ČD 753.362) appeared with the "Treno dei Sapori" gourmet charter.
salp1002.jpg

salp1003.jpg

Toline offers plenty of photo opportunities: R 34 Brescia - Edolo passing through the village at twelve o'clock.
salp1004.jpg

I walked along the eastern shore of the lake towards Pisogne - the western shore is more industrial.
salp1005.jpg

After one o'clock, ALn668.131 approached as R 51 Edolo - Brescia. More nostalgic extravaganza on the road, including this Lancia Fulvia HF, all vehicles carrying old black number plates.
salp1006.jpg

The promenade between Pisogne and Toline was not finished yet, but in Pisogne you can walk lakeside away from the main road passing this Trojan Horse...
salp1007.jpg

At the harbour.
salp1008.jpg

We know this boat from April - Lovere town in the background, it had been voted one of the 20 prettiest places in Italy.
salp1009.jpg

Pisogne also offers sights, for example (not in view) Santa Maria della Neve church, which is called "Sistine Chapel of the Poor" due to its rustic frescoes:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di_Santa_Maria_della_Neve_(Pisogne)

salp1010.jpg

I checked if the additional trip Pisogne - Iseo - Pisogne really had been cancelled. No activity on the engine, at least it was parked in a photogenic position.
salp1011.jpg

You only needed patience, as it attracted a lot of interest from the public. Selfie-break.
salp1012.jpg

"Treno dei Sapori" on a short dead-end platform.
salp1013.jpg

It was crowded inside, lunch had been served. Ice cubes lay decadently strewn across the steps of the accompanying goods wagon.
salp1014.jpg

salp1015.jpg

Double-sized Stadler GTW ATR125.105 as R 48 Brescia - Edolo was greeted by a crowd at 2 p.m.
salp1016.jpg

Crossing R 57.
salp1017.jpg

Meeting of Italian classics.
salp1018.jpg

I returned to romantic Toline.
salp1019.jpg

R 52 to Breno at the level crossing.
salp1020.jpg

Soon afterwards, R 63 appeared into the opposite direction.
salp1021.jpg

salp1022.jpg

I tried out spots found during the walk before. ALn668.131 returned from Edolo as R 60.
salp1023.jpg

Approaching Pisogne at the northern end of the lake. In mid-September it still was hot, slightly below 30 degrees C.
salp1024.jpg

Modern GTW southbound.
salp1025.jpg

salp1026.jpg

salp1027.jpg

Double GTW ATR125.105 as R 71 to Brescia at Toline.
salp1028.jpg

salp1029.jpg

Smoke appeared punctually at Pisogne, 740.278 came around the corner hauling "Iseo Express" to Brescia at 5:24 p.m. I removed a few smaller modern elements for the nostalgic pics.
salp1030.jpg

Video scenes of "Iseo Express" can be watched from video minute 11:40, including ride on a class ALn668 along the lake.
salp1031.jpg

Passing the barriers.
salp1032.jpg

Opposite Toline station platform you find this amazing building, including a former tobacconist's. Notice the faded "Birra Wührer"-ad, a Brescia brewery working 1829-1988:

salp1033.jpg

R 70 to Edolo appearing at 5:57 not stopping here, as only some services did.
salp1034.jpg

A rear shot of the "Bond"-GTW. Soon afterwards, R 77 took me to Brescia.
salp1035.jpg

We return to Brescia in the morning of the same day: E646.158 (Breda / built in 1964) about to haul "Iseo Express" on the mainline Brescia - Rovato completing a meeting of former FS classics - thanks to Trenord!
salp1036.jpg

Nearby, the newest of the new: Frecciarossa 9709 Torino Porta Nuova - Venezia Santa Lucia formed of a class ETR 1000 carrying the "10 Years of Frecciarossa" livery.
salp1037.jpg

Into the other direction: private highspeed NTV Italo 8972 Venice - Milano Centrale as Italo EVO class ETR 675, a further development of class ETR 600 by Alstom:

salp1038.jpg

Another world moments later with class ALn668 and ALe582.084 as R 4912 to Bergamo.
salp1039.jpg

R 6021 from Iseo arrived, these terminal tracks are not electrified at Brescia.
salp1040.jpg

salp1041.jpg

In the evening, I arrived back shortly after seven o'clock. E646.158 approached at 7:16 p.m., hauling "Iseo Express" from Rovato.
salp1042.jpg

April 28 2019

The same scene from the Easter trip, just with more excitement: My R 77 was still pulling slowly into the terminal platform just as "Iseo Express" showed up at 7:05 p.m. - I quickly squeezed through the door and managed to capture it that second!
salp1043.jpg

Heritage "Tiger" E632.030 (Fiat-Ansaldo / built in 1986) supported the steamer on the mainline.
salp1044.jpg

R 78 to Edolo departed towards the rain shower.
salp1045.jpg

The charter on platform 7.
salp1046.jpg

R 4927 arrived from Bergamo.
salp1047.jpg

The "Tigre" logo.
salp1048.jpg

Even the transfer back to Rovato was officially indicated on the display. Frecciarossa 9753 Milan - Udine.
salp1049.jpg

We say good-bye to this engine, I returned to the Hotel at Verona.
salp1050.jpg

Next time, we will visit the cities of Brescia and Verona! :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back