Some Random Videos From the Sticks of W.Va.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

C&OFan7534

Hey guys!!!

For my second thread, I am posting some random videos from "The Sticks" of central and western West Virginia and from the lush farmland of south central Ohio.

For one with this being coal country we don't really get anything out of the ordinary. That is unless something is being rerouted through here for any particular reason. When us railfans down in this area found out that CSX was going to be rerouted from North Baltimore, Ohio and down the old C&O due to the tunnel projects on the former B&O main over the Sandpatch.

It all started on June 22, 2011 as the Q130 made its debut on the Kanawha Subdivision. The power for the first intermodal was CSXT 5420 and CSXT 8867. After I had caught the first one going east in daylight. It would be nearly a month before I caught it again in daylight on July 18, 2011.

About a month after the trains started running down here. CSX had made the decision to re-symbol the intermodals running to and from Jacksonville, FL and Portsmouth, Virginia. Two of those trains, Q130 and Q139, were re-symboled to Q135 for the westbound and Q136 for the eastbound trip. At the time, we had no idea that Q130 would make a reappearance just a few months later.

The last Q130 had ran through with some BNSF power a few nights earlier. Since this part of the C&O rarely see any power like that. I thought that there was no way that these units would return. That was until I was informed about the return trip on the first Q135. The BNSF power had stayed with the train for the run back.

A few months later, Q130 returns to the C&O on a cold Friday morning hot on the heels of Amtrak train #50. All of this due to where CSX had won the Maersk contract from Norfolk Southern about two months prior.

That's all for the CSX intermodal runs and here are the random CSX videos....

CSX train G862 is seen climbing the grade at Cotton Hill, West Virginia one week ago as it heads for Hinton, WV behind Dash 8 Widecab 7760.

About an hour later and almost ten miles down the river. The next stop of that Sunday of railfanning brought me to Kanawha Falls, West Virginia as an empty coal train comes off of the double track as it heads back to the coalfields of southern West Virginia.

Spent New Years Eve out railfanning and was not disappointed in the variety of power for the four hours I was out.

Even though CSX can be good at times with the power variety. They still do not come close to Norfolk Southern when it comes to the variety of train traffic around here.

Norfolk Southern work train 92Z heads north through Rand, West Virginia with one tie gondola and a caboose as it proceeds towards Nitro, West Virginia.

In this video, we see manifest train M8M as it crosses over the massive Ohio River Bridge on Norfolk Southern's Kenova District while on its way to Bluefield, West Virginia.

With the following two videos, patience was everything while waiting. Norfolk Southern train 234 is seen passing under East Main Street in Chillicothe, Ohio as it heads for Roanoke, Virginia. Just listen as that Nathan P5 echoes off of the bridge and the surrounding buildings.

A few patient minutes later and in the same exact spot. Norfolk Southern's Chicago, Illinois to Greensboro, North Carolina UPS hotshot #218 passes through town.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)