Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2020

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I'm stuck at home like many (I have actually been working from home 4 days a week for the last few years, so its not a big stretch for me personally), so I have been going through the back catalog. This vineyard just south of the Stockton Intermodal yard has since been plowed under and was a barren field the last time I was out that way around New Years.
49695797086_c24388d1f4_h.jpg
Holding in the Vines
by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Be sure to maintain social distancing from the trains. You have probably noted a downturn in traffic during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Be sure to maintain social distancing from the trains. You have probably noted a downturn in traffic during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This is an older shot. I haven't been out shooting (with the exception of inside the house and my backyard) since March 16.

This is an older shot. I haven't been out shooting (with the exception of inside the house and my backyard) since March 16.

There is no doubt many of us who have resorted to photographing our backyard wildlife during the Corona Quarantine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another archive shot. This one from Holt California (Sacramento River Delta), of a short 3 tank and one vehicle car for the barrier.
1588187936663.png

Local Move by lennycarl08, on Flickr

What a wonderful group of photographs you are posting up. Thank you!
After seeing these, I realize I'll have to take better note of the suns position when I'm taking my own photos.

What a wonderful group of photographs you are posting up. Thank you!
After seeing these, I realize I'll have to take better note of the suns position when I'm taking my own photos.
Glad you are enjoying them. It is defiantly important to pay attention to the light. You can certainly shoot into the sun, but you need to be aware and compensate for it, but yes generally speaking it is nicer to have the sun at your back.

Good shot. Photos with good cloud backgrounds are virtually impossible to get once summer rolls in. Freeways up here seem empty compared to pre Covid-19 times. Have you noticed a corresponding down turn in freeway traffic and up turn in air quality down there?

I haven't been out much, but yes, traffic down and air quality up. When the show the GG and Bay Bridges at rush hour on the news they are deserted relatively speaking. We will soon be in the overcast in the morning, clearing to cloudless sky days here along with all the grass going brown. No interesting weather until November.

No interesting weather until November.

I know all about the brown season of endless sunshine (and heat) from my days in Sacratomato. That I why I always dreaded April.
BTW, instant responses to my posts is another sign that we are all under quarantine.

BTW, instant responses to my posts is another sign that we are all under quarantine.

That's why I've put a massive amount of time and effort into the place recently. It's a good place to talk trains and Facebook has gotten downright toxic these days. So I wanted to bring this place up to current standards and make it inviting for anyone who was interested.

It seems to be working, we're slowly getting more activity and members. Once we have some more discussions, things will pick up even more.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back