Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2019

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

(one day I won't be so lazy and actually get up earlier enough where the sun is at my back for some better light on the east bounds).

Yeah, but as I've noticed, when you break the rule about backlight you manage to do it when something in the foreground lights the shadow side. Great photo.

That IS a nice line up. One of these days I should try to get back over to the Mobest yard here in Phoenix and see if the Blue Bonnet's are still there. They had 2 I think that were RC's and at one time there were a few War Bonnets in the yard too. I might even have a shot of one in my archives that I never uploaded? Regardless, great shot, it almost looks like an HO scene. :cool:

That IS a nice line up. One of these days I should try to get back over to the Mobest yard here in Phoenix and see if the Blue Bonnet's are still there. They had 2 I think that were RC's and at one time there were a few War Bonnets in the yard too. I might even have a shot of one in my archives that I never uploaded? Regardless, great shot, it almost looks like an HO scene. :cool:

I'm not sure what a Blue Bonnet is. All I can think of is those old passenger F units where the red of the original War Bonnet scheme was repainted blue after Amtrak took over passenger service in the early '70's and the Santa Fe put the F units to freight use.
If you have photos, please post them.

I'm not sure what a Blue Bonnet is. All I can think of is those old passenger F units where the red of the original War Bonnet scheme was repainted blue after Amtrak took over passenger service in the early '70's and the Santa Fe put the F units to freight use.
If you have photos, please post them.

Sorry Bill, I meant the old Santa Fe Blue scheme. I thought they were called Blue Bonnets? It's been a while... :oops: Please forgive me, I haven't been trackside in a very long time, I need to do a refresh... ;)

I am not sure what that last Santa Fe freight scheme was called. Better get trackside and take some photos, as the premerger paint schemes are disappearing.

Does anyone in the Omaha Posse have Warren Buffet's ear? It would be nice to see some diesels in BN and BNSF premeger paint schemes like Norfolk Southern has done.

Last edited:
Nice indeed... Interesting sign there too, Signal Overlap? I don't believe I've ever seen one like that. I wonder how the signals are read in this case and why is there overlap in the first place? Maybe I should post this in a different forum?
Love the vivid colors in these shots...;)

Thanks! From my understanding, and I may not phrase this just right, but Signal Overlap is the length of track beyond a stop signal that is proved to be clear of vehicles in the controls of the previous signal, as a safety margin, meaning the train should stop before that sign at a red signal. Here at Collier, they usually stop right around the "Fouling Point 500" sign when waiting for an eastbound train.
48426906751_2a0eaa0525_h.jpg
Passing Power
by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation on that. Seems reasonable to me and I will have to say, that "Fowling Point 500" sign didn't even register to me and that's another sign I've not seen before either. Boy, it HAS been a long time for me... :( I would guess that you would fowl the other track in 500 feet of that sign so stopping at it is a good margin of safety. Very interesting, I always find and learn new things on the forums... Keep the great shots coming too.. ;)

Nothing special about this shot, other than the original file size was a whopping 9568 x 6376 pixels. The Sony A7r4 61mp senor leaves a ton of room for cropping. I mainly got it for wildlife, but had it with me this afternoon.
48734049453_c6622f01bd_b.jpg
BNSF 61MP
by lennycarl08, on Flickr

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back