Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2015

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Lastly, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this bunny rabbit, hopping accross the yard
5688507833_2ac7f494be_b.jpg

Heh, that's fantastic.

Last bit from Roseville, and next I will have some different stuff.

They used the wye to turn this trio around, I'm guessing to align the Calfornia Northern Genset it a certain way.
5688508013_62bd2b9bed_b.jpg

5689079004_d4b5a73329_b.jpg

This pair was parked right by the road conviniently
5689079318_daaa601ab4_b.jpg

5688508329_12a2b8d7f5_b.jpg

Bit of a pano shot of the stacker stopped for a crew change
5689079462_0a5c2c8517_b.jpg

Lastly, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this bunny rabbit, hopping accross the yard
5688507833_2ac7f494be_b.jpg

Wow, look at all those SD40-2's, send some of those out this way!!!!

nice work! i know that area. the shot of the BNSF on the bridge is epic; now i know what the geeps are doing, 'cause i shot them in pinole about three years ago.

Good photos of Roseville Yard. I used to photograph trains there in the 70's. I should start scanning my old slides of the SP & WP in Sacramento to post up here.

I also like snakes. I have a birds & trains thread, you should start a snakes & trains thread. :D

Very nice series of photos. I like the galloping Jack Rabbit! Thanks for posting nice sharp well composed photos.

It's been quite a while since I last posted at RRforums (been really busy) but I have to say I'm really happy to see a stellar set of images from the Bay Area. I've taken shots at nearly all the same locations. You've done a great job there, and I'm especially glad you've discovered the accessible areas in Franklin Canyon. As you experienced yourself, with enough patience and luck you can get some great shots that make it look like you're miles away from civilization, when you're actually not!

Very nice series of photos. I like the galloping Jack Rabbit! Thanks for posting nice sharp well composed photos.

You're very weclome. Trust me, I have hard drives full of unsharp, badly composed, horribly exposed photos too! :rolleyes:

Good photos of Roseville Yard. I used to photograph trains there in the 70's. I should start scanning my old slides of the SP & WP in Sacramento to post up here.

Would love to see those, especially the WP. As far as the snakes go, I prefer to see them from a distance that is too far to phototgraph from :cool:

Not much to post this week as I have been working mandatory overtime (BOO!):mad:

BUT, I did catch this while on the way to my dentist at the VA clinic on the old Mare Island shipyard. It is parked out all by itself. Looks like it's a long way from home, and I have no idea what it is doing there. Perhaps one of you Washingtonians might have the story?

My favorite enigne as a kid was the old SD-9. I had an old Ahtern Blue box BN unit that I ran into the ground. I remember watching the real things in cascade green line up to battle Mullen pass in Montana from my cousins house on the western side of the rockies. This one is much cleaner!
5701798744_226fc58a81_b.jpg

5701798802_3320c0764f_b.jpg

I'm kind of backlogged on doing some post processing, but here are a few older ones from last summer that I took before I started posting here...

A hot afternoon last summer in Hercules
4947377274_b928fd77a5_b.jpg

California State Railroad Museum: Overhead roundhouse shot
5049061328_b40a46afe8_b.jpg

The Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola California: F7 in the shop
5048800803_b65782e8d3_b.jpg

The Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola California: You can drive a train here, for real! FP7 that at one time led the Zephry
5049419528_647173a6cc_b.jpg

The Western Pacific Railroad Museum: GP7 and a B unit doing some switching at the Western Pacific Museum in Portola CA. The engine itself was dead in the Geep and motive power was actually being provided by the WP F7 B unit behind it.
5048799685_920f20160e_b.jpg

Trying to be "arty" at the WP museum. You can walk all over the yard and climb on anything you want. It's a fun afternoon.
3547245567_429791e036_b.jpg

Too bad the sun was on the wrong side of me...
3547251251_a39c18a6bc_b.jpg

Last from the WP Museum
3469198817_9172a0a1be_b.jpg

Thanks for looking...I have some more BNSF coming soon.

BUT, I did catch this while on the way to my dentist at the VA clinic on the old Mare Island shipyard. It is parked out all by itself. Looks like it's a long way from home, and I have no idea what it is doing there. Perhaps one of you Washingtonians might have the story?

There was a fight about who was to provide rail service on Mare Island. The developer, Lennar, wanted control over rail service on the island, and wanted the contract operator serving Alstom to leave the property. (Some folks feel that Lennar does not want any rail on the island, as they feel it is an impediment to their housing development plans.) However, the STB has to approve any abandonment, so Lennar brought in the TC&O unit to show that they were "serious" about providing their own rail service. Time will tell.:D

Here is a link with more on this subject:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17387984?nclick_check=1

There was a fight about who was to provide rail service on Mare Island. The developer, Lennar, wanted control over rail service on the island, and wanted the contract operator serving Alstom to leave the property. (Some folks feel that Lennar does not want any rail on the island, as they feel it is an impediment to their housing development plans.) However, the STB has to approve any abandonment, so Lennar brought in the TC&O unit to show that they were "serious" about providing their own rail service. Time will tell.:D

Here is a link with more on this subject:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17387984?nclick_check=1

Wow, what an interesting story. Thanks for the info and the link!

Good photos of the Feather River museum at Portola. My friend and I toured it in 2003 on the way back from a motorcyle trip to Utah. We spent the night at a railroad themed B&B which had a view of the Portola yard and UP mainline from the back deck.

So I went out after work on Saturday (more overtime :mad:) with camera and lenses and parked by the tracks near the Amtrak depot in Martinez. It was cold and drizzly for May, but I still sat there for over an hour and the only thing that came by was a Captial Corridor, which I have about a million pictures of...
5723469298_5c91d5696c_b.jpg

So I headed home, thinking the day was a bust, but as I headed back to the freeway I caught sight of this westbound BNSF on the steel trestle and the chase was on! Luckily I was in my GTI and not my Odyssey:D I had to get to the other end of Franklin canyon fast if I wanted to get some shots!
5723469126_5883e5aff2_b.jpg

I got to the first of two private rural crossings, and not wanting to push my luck I stopped and got out with enough time to set the camera up, leaving my 24-105 lens on as I find it the best bet for general shots. Just in time I heard the horn, and the stacker came round the bend.
5723469802_18bf7b4220_b.jpg

Now one of the cool things about a full frame dslr is the insane amount of cropability you get while still maintaining image quality. This is the same picture digitally "zoomed" which gets rid of all the visual clutter in the above photo. If you look hard you can see teh conductor and engineer in the cab.
5722915013_e9bd5db7f9_b.jpg

You can see the grass turning color in the canyon
5722915133_9dd7c7c4a5_b.jpg

Another close up
5723470190_eb22bf5ca9_b.jpg

Heading away is a better look at the browning hills and the warbonnet loco.
5722915571_8110f43d7f_b.jpg

Ordinarily that would have been that, but driving home I noticed that the train had to slow as it passed the eastbound UPS train in the siding. If I hurried I could catch it as it went through Pinole. Vroom vroom...I got to the downtown about 4 minutes before the train.
5722915813_9505077361_b.jpg

Notice the "tree" masquerading as a cell tower behind the train.
5723470890_9fd837c1a6_b.jpg

So what I thougth was going to be a bust of an afternoon actually ended up being pretty fun, with some decent shots being aquired. Even better it was the opening weekend of a new watering hole just a few hundred yards from where I took this shot. Time for a beer!

Again, great shots! I saw that stacker coming through Albany shortly thereafter while on 580. I slowed down so quickly to catch it my wife pointed out I was going 35mph on an insterstate!

-Paul

Great Shots looks like you had some good weather for Railfanning. And great shot of the two BNSF GP60Ms i like that cloudy formation

Again, great shots! I saw that stacker coming through Albany shortly thereafter while on 580. I slowed down so quickly to catch it my wife pointed out I was going 35mph on an insterstate!

-Paul

Dang, I didn't even think about it continuing on past Point Richmond, I should have tried to beat it to Emeryville for another shot! :D

Great Shots looks like you had some good weather for Railfanning. And great shot of the two BNSF GP60Ms i like that cloudy formation

Thanks, yeah cloudy weather can actually be a good advantage, especially in some of the lighting situations of my favorite spots. Over the years I have seen all kinds of rare equipment out on the end of the BNSF line here. I only wish I was into the photography thing a little earlier. :eek:

Just some random stuff from the last month...

Not a very good photo, but I caught this pair of Geeps pulling some empty spline cars while driving down CA Hwy 4 and shot this accross the passenger seat in my van with the window up and not even looking thorugh the viewfinder. I was actually surprised it was usable at all.
5701798524_3f0ee5aec7_b.jpg

Same train going through Pinole
5701798640_804ddd5e78_b.jpg

Same fake tree cell tower
5701797812_0b73a59f12_b.jpg

Afternoon refinery switching
5701798420_8ac08aae70_b.jpg

Some remote control action going on
5701798188_3854a0010e_b.jpg

Paint job has seen better days
5701798320_f454c44b00_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back