Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2012

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Itsed65

Still love your work. There seems to be a couple of kids that take video and stills of us as we go by in Richmond by Atlas Road by our North Bay UPS facility and at Rheem siding. Once they made a homemade whistle board sign and my engineer and I just had to blow a crossing signal to commend their creativity. They loved it. If you get a chance BNSF departs out of Emeryville from our OIG terminal at hte port to Stege in Richmond then through the heart of Richmond past the RPRC yard and Safeway siding to get onto our main from the UP. Usually empty wells outbound and loaded container trains inbound towards OIG. Keep up the great work, I'm jealous I still haven't made it in any of your photos yet lol!!
Hehe, well I will keep trying to get you! I have seen the trains through Emeryville, but never when I am actually there with a camera, usually from the freeway or something. Most of Richmond is a bit too sketchy for me to hang out with a bunch of expensive gear waiting for a train if you know what I mean. But I do drive that way after work on Fridays, (3 dollar happy hour at the Hotel Mac in Pt Richmond!) so I will keep trying. I did get these couple of shots (straight into the morning sun) at Giant Highway last weekend, just around the bend from Atlas road.

Eastbound auto rack train.

8041827666_05cbbd75c0_b.jpg

8041827396_87c80b6ee6_b.jpg

JSJD

Was that the Saturday morning vehice train? I left right before them on the UP 7616 headed to Stockton Intermodal in Mariposa. That poor crew got caught by the detector at Pinole right next to the Kinder's BBQ and Jack n the Box for handbrakes still tied. I can tell you having to walk 6,000 feet right there in Franklin Canyon, Pinole area is no fun.

Itsed65

Was that the Saturday morning vehice train? I left right before them on the UP 7616 headed to Stockton Intermodal in Mariposa. That poor crew got caught by the detector at Pinole right next to the Kinder's BBQ and Jack n the Box for handbrakes still tied. I can tell you having to walk 6,000 feet right there in Franklin Canyon, Pinole area is no fun.
Well that explains why it didn't show up where I thought it would! (I actually love that Kinder's, and I hit the Jack for an after work snack before I park in the canyon to read a bit and see if anything shows.)

Your wait is over then, as I did get you! :D I raced ahead of the vehicle train, and I must have seen your train in the siding over and along Hwy 4, but I could only see the middle, so assumed it was heading toward Richmond and waiting for the vehicle train to pass. So I was very confused when a different train showed up, especially with a UP unit at the lead. It was cool though to see some variety on that stretch of track.

The first shots were at f2.8 and had a bit of model train look to it, so I juiced up the saturation a bit just for fun.
8041818283_5104259184_b.jpg

8041818055_e332088f01_b.jpg

I've been playing with square crops lately. Don't know why really, but they appeal to me sometimes.
8041826482_bcc7b3078a_b.jpg

Couple more...
8041817443_c3084e9cc3_b.jpg

8041825950_db454eaba3_b.jpg

JSJD

Wow!! Awsome, my kid will love this :D. Yeah I had a student conductor with me so he is actually sitting in the front, no better way to learn than to jump in and do it I say. I'm sitting down behind him between your photos. It was pretty fun using a UP unit. Since that was our lead that was what we went by, UP 7616. So between the UP West Oakland yardmaster, UP dispatch and our dispatcher, everyone was slightly confused about who we were and why we were using a UP unit. The UP units are slightly different in the cab configuration. If you notice how out ditch lights are not on and our nose light is on dim? The light switch was different and it wasn't until we were in the middle of tunnel 3 right there next to the farm did we realize we didn't have the lights right. How often do you get out on the BNSF? Do you have a radio that gets our channels?

Itsed65

Glad you like! If you want a full size copy of any of them, PM me and I would be glad to pass it along.

Itsed65

Awesome pics Itsed65!
Thank you very much!

Last Saturday, I spent a few hours in Hercules, but it was pretty dull, just the usual Capital Corridor and San Joaquin trains...
8064908030_59d340d04f_b.jpg

Sunday morning found a train full of shiny new Hondas rolling through Franklin Canyon
8069240730_29ec2303bc_b.jpg

8069240142_4e8b235950_b.jpg

8069241738_bd78f57a4a_b.jpg

I switched to the UP tracks after lunch at Crockett

There were two six axle units running light with the usual Sunday run from the Oakland yard back to Martinez.
8069243045_868c14c48b_b.jpg

8 units rolling through
8069242859_7614483638_b.jpg

8075865138_14a9e6c16f_b.jpg

And one doesn't match
8075865000_2c27ba9c0b_b.jpg

You can tell it's Fall. The days are getting shorter and the shadows are reaching across the tracks a lot earlier in the afternoon. Here is the afternoon San Joaquin heading to Emeryville from Bakersfield.
8069244901_9c7f21ee8c_b.jpg

8069242641_447e817acb_b.jpg

Tomorrow is Sunday, and another day to go out with my cameras :D

Bill Anderson

You can tell it's Fall. The days are getting shorter and the shadows are reaching across the tracks a lot earlier in the afternoon. Here is the afternoon San Joaquin heading to Emeryville from Bakersfield.
With the seasonal changing of daylight hours, are there any opportunites for you to take sunrise or sunset photos of the passenger trains? :confused:

Itsed65

With the seasonal changing of daylight hours, are there any opportunites for you to take sunrise or sunset photos of the passenger trains? :confused:
Unfortunately, from where the tracks run along the water, my vantage points are pretty much all facing the wrong way for any kind of dramatic sunsets. If I get on the other side of the bay, and use a great big canon of a zoom (no pun intended), I might be able to try something. It is something to think about during the season!

Itsed65

Great shots !!!
Thanks!

The Chevron refinery in Richmond that recently had a major fire is the background for this shot of a westbound intermodal running along San Pablo Bay. I was just getting back into my car at Point Pinole regional park when this came by at a pretty good clip, so this is not the best angle, but not bad for being shot out my window.
8075872511_1fdfd2a124_b.jpg

Finally we are seeing something other than totally blue sky. Some local switching at Martinez
8075863836_5e3524220a_b.jpg

8075872079_d758297862_b.jpg

8075864188_9b80cffb9f_b.jpg

Back out to Franklin Canyon, an eastbound Z train heading for tunnel #3
8085011095_195fc8b633_b.jpg

8085011589_24d26b56fd_b.jpg

I had some interesting company in the canyon, the AV-8's namesake, a harrier hawk was out hunting. Too bad I had my 70-200 on the camera for the trains. Usually it's just red-tails out here.
8078823467_48fc5036d6_b.jpg

Lastly for this posting, a westbound UP intermodal along the bay at Hercules
8092240885_359c2e2052_b.jpg

8092241675_45de6a7957_b.jpg

Fitting for the last pic, bringing up the rear...:cool:
8092246858_f91009c091_b.jpg

JSJD

How do you get to that road in franklin canyon? Have you gone searching for the missing "comet/ufo" up there in the canyon? Its funny but living here in the bay area for my whole life, I forget sometimes the natural beauty that the bay area has. Your pictures remind me of that beauty, from a cloudy sky, to the golden rolling hills, to the contrast of water and land to the natural inhabitants that also call the bay area home. Thank you. Hope to see you out there soon.

Itsed65

How do you get to that road in franklin canyon? Have you gone searching for the missing "comet/ufo" up there in the canyon? Its funny but living here in the bay area for my whole life, I forget sometimes the natural beauty that the bay area has. Your pictures remind me of that beauty, from a cloudy sky, to the golden rolling hills, to the contrast of water and land to the natural inhabitants that also call the bay area home. Thank you. Hope to see you out there soon.
Yes it's amazing how much nature we still have with 7 million people living here! Christie Road is just after the Franklin Canyon golf course on eastbound hwy 4. If you are heading west you have to exit at Franklin Canyon, cross under the freeway and drive back toward it. Blink and you miss it!

I caught an eastbound (southbound? I don't know how the railroad classifies it)vehicle train this past Sunday with 8 units at the lead. It was pretty impressive. I'm guessing they were deadheading some power back toward Stockton? Anyoo, I will get those shots up the next time I post.

Thanks for looking and glad you enjoy the pics!

JSJD

Great thank you. Yeah anything heading towards tunnel 3 right there is eastbound. Tunnel 4 used to be just west of the kinder's bbq there in Pinole around the bend along the road there. Tunnel 5 is in Point Richmond and tunnels 2 and 1 are right before our bridge over Martinez at Alhambra Ave. I bet that would make a great shot, to have a train going over it.

Itsed65

The shadows are now creeping across the tracks before I can even get there in the afternoon. Pretty soon I will have to wait for rainy weather to get decent shots in the canyon. Afternoon Z train heading toward San Pablo. (I'm still working on the shots I promised from the eastbound vehicle train. Memory card problems :mad:)
8101615066_e4ea1aa83d_b.jpg

8101614862_4f5c4f051c_b.jpg

Some local short line action on the Richmond Pacific
8106848814_1a06dd62fa_b.jpg

8106848596_1e51a1a38d_b.jpg

8106837025_dba7c3fc0d_b.jpg

8106836891_8f875e7366_b.jpg

8106836729_0c78878e45_b.jpg

Finally this week, a couple of six axles, running light through Richmond CA. The background is Mt. Tamalpais in one, the Chevron Refinery that recently blew up in the other.

8111093635_33f544da03_b.jpg

8111098256_6047f29551_b.jpg

More to come as always! :cool:

jkinzel

A great set of photos as always. Thanks

I believe next Sunday, 11/4, we go back to Pacific Standard Time, so you will get a one hour increase in shadows over night. Yippee, that means it will be dark by 1700 up here. :(

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)