Sicily 2016 - 3: Syracuse - Noto (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Sicily 2016 - 2: Giardini-Naxos (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?52744-Sicily-2016-2-Giardini-Naxos-(50-p-)

To the video:
https://youtu.be/L8L4FAom1hI

The timetable for this part:
Code:
-------------------------------
Wed, March 23 2016

Taormina-Giardini dep 10:01 +5  RV 3851

Siracusa arr 11:50 +7

Siracusa dep 13:56  R 12834 -> Gela

Noto arr 14:29 +8

Noto dep 16:12 R 12847

Siracusa arr 16:45

Siracusa dep 18:20  RV 3862 -> Messina Centrale

Taormina-Giardini arr 20:00 +20

March 23 2016

Shortly after 10 a.m. we had boarded RV 3851 at Taormina-Giardini and travelled southwards, to Baroque and Antiquity of Syracuse and Noto. On the way we encountered two freight trains and a class D345 diesel in classic livery switching at Catania freight yard. After crossing the plain of Catania you reach a lovely coastline, but soon the surrounding changed and we approached the industrial south-east of Sicily. At Augusta the railroad traverses the lagoon on a dam, looking towards the dry docks of a shipyard.
siz160301.jpg

Afterwards the line cuts across the largest refinery complex of the island for several miles until we finally arrived at Siracusa terminal. We marched along a modern avenue towards the excavation site of ancient Neapolis. While we just had seen large industrial sites, Sicilian trade still is taking place in very small structures - for example craftsmen working in open street shops.
siz160302.jpg

We started our visit of the archaeological park together with some "loving archaeo-cats" and plenty of Austrian tourists. ;0)
siz160303.jpg

The large, flat Greek theater had been carved out of the rock.
iPhone-panorama, as several other pictures here.
siz160304.jpg

siz160305.jpg

Spectacular antique quarry Latomia del Paradiso, at the bottom of which you can find a paradisiac garden nowadays.
siz160306.jpg

siz160307.jpg

The "Ear of Dionysius" is a 75 feet high artificial cave with special acoustic properties. iPhone-vertical-panorama.
siz160308.jpg

siz160309.jpg

One of the largest Roman amphitheaters is also located inside the park.
siz160310.jpg

Subsequently I started my own tour while the others visited the equally interesting archaeological museum and the old town center.
ICN 1962 Siracusa dep 1:35 p.m. - Messina - Salerno - Livorno - La Spezia - Genova - Milano Centrale arr 10:45 a.m. was ready for departure.
siz160311.jpg

siz160312.jpg

At that time two local trains were leaving for the branch line to Noto, Modica, Ragusa, Gela and Caltanissetta in quick succession. Sadly otherwise traffic is sparse, so I only could go on a short trip to nearby Noto. All spotted trains were consisting of good old class ALn668 Fiat railcars.
siz160313.jpg

A pitiful exterior state of E656.074 in front of the overnight express to Milan.
siz160314.jpg

siz160315.jpg

My train R 12834 towards Gela was waiting to the right, I boarded it after the sleeper had departed.
siz160316.jpg

Southwest of Syracuse the landscape changes again entirely, across citrus fruit plantations along the coast you can already see the rocky Monti Iblei hills in the background.
siz160317.jpg

We soon reached Noto in a typical Italian branch line setting.
siz160318.jpg

At least old infrastructure is not immediately demolished here, even if the old loco shed was in danger of collapsing...
siz160319.jpg

I had planned to take the shot of the following train, R 12832 to Pozzallo, from a hillside position opposite the baroque town. But the road leading there deteriorated significantly with large puddles and bulk garbage blocking the way - until I finally had to turn around when a small river was not crossed on a bridge but would have to be forded. Luckily I found this spot featuring a lovely view of the station in time.
siz160320.jpg

Of course the railroad traverses the river on a nice bridge.
siz160321.jpg

Instead I had more time for sightseeing in Noto. The background of the Sicilian Baroque is a destructive earthquake in 1693 leading to several towns having to be entirely rebuilt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Baroque

Street view of the baroque center.
siz160322.jpg

Climbing the hill I encountered many decorated houses.
siz160323.jpg

The complete Noto ensemble with Cathedral San Nicolò finished in 1770 to the left and Palazzo Ducezio to the right.
siz160324.jpg

The interior of the dome, part of which had collapsed due to erosion in 1996 and since been reconstructed.
siz160325.jpg

siz160326.jpg

Chiesa di San Francesco next to Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore, both part of former convents.
siz160327.jpg

Typical residential facades.
siz160328.jpg

It was time to return to the station, my train returned from Pozzallo at 4:12 p.m.
siz160329.jpg

Another view of the fascinating landscape.
siz160330.jpg

At Syracuse yard one overnight train was being prepared for its evening departure with a class E656 at each end.
siz160331.jpg

Old abandoned EMUs in front of massive pilgrimage church Santuario Madonna delle Lacrime for 11000 visitors, the largest in Sicily.
siz160332.jpg

siz160333.jpg

I rejoined the others, to save time we took a taxi to the old city.
siz160334.jpg

Syracuse center is situated on Ortygia peninsula, that's why evening moods over water are possible even on the east coast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortygia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse,_Sicily
siz160335.jpg

siz160336.jpg

siz160337.jpg

Freshwater spring Fonte Aretusa is said to be the first source of papyrus in Europe. Today you can still see plants in this large ornamental pool, southern Sicily is the only region in Europe where they grow naturally.
siz160338.jpg

I walked through the narrow streets towards Dome Square.
siz160339.jpg

siz160340.jpg

The core of the cathedral is formed by an ancient temple of Athena, a Byzantine basilica, a Norman church and above all a baroque facade glowing in the evening sun.
siz160341.jpg

siz160342.jpg

We moved back to the station, against a strong, cold wind.
siz160343.jpg

20th century Fontana di Diana on Piazza Archimede, named after the most famous son of the city.
siz160344.jpg

siz160345.jpg

siz160346.jpg

A large yacht on the canal dividing the peninsula from the mainland.
siz160347.jpg

siz160348.jpg

Before we reached the beautiful station we bought delicious dinner to eat on the journey back from a delicatessen store.
siz160349.jpg

Our four-car RV 3862 was quite empty, and we had a compartment to ourselves. Due to a delayed train meeting near Catania we returned to Taormina 20 minutes late.
siz160350.jpg

Next time we will finally visit Circumetnea narrow gauge railroad, promised! :0)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back