Shelbys involved in a railway derailment

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

gt350shelb

Hello all new to the forum,

I have been researching a derailment and to date have found nothing in ICC or dot investigations .

The date": june 28- july 15 ? Could be later than that. 1967

I would imagine they would not have shipped damaged cars back to LA unless derailment was near California.

14 1967 Shelbys involved in a railway derailment that happened between 6/28/67 and 7/5/67 somewhere between California and the midwest. The carrier was the Southern Pacific Railroad. Cars were later sold to Santa Fe Salvage Depot in Los Angles, CA.

If anyone has any leads or Ideas on where to look i would like to hear them.

funnelfan

14 1967 Shelbys involved in a railway derailment that happened between 6/28/67 and 7/5/67 somewhere between California and the midwest. The carrier was the Southern Pacific Railroad. Cars were later sold to Santa Fe Salvage Depot in Los Angles, CA.

If anyone has any leads or Ideas on where to look i would like to hear them.
If it happened on the SP and if the cars came through Nebraska, then you need to look west of Salt Lake City. Union Pacific would have hauled the cars from Omaha, NE to SLC, UT. Southern Pacific would have taken over from there to the west coast. Did you have a destination for the vehicles? I'll ask on another forum about this that is frequented by former SP employees.

gt350shelb

Cars were to be delivered to: Iowa,Mi,Mo,Mass.,Ill , KY, Nebraska .

Nebraska would have been 1st car delivered (It never made it there)

cars were shipped out of San jose California. Most likely it was only 1 rail car ,with all cars.
Would be very interested in speaking with anyone who was there!

Also whould have happened after june 29th 1967 .

Thanks for the reply
Phil

April

Reality escapee
I take it they were Shelby Mustangs and not AC Cobras.

Either way those 14 cars would now be a multi-million dollar collection.

April

gt350shelb

Yes they were / are shelby mustangs ............. most have turned up over the years but none of them were sold thru dealers after the derailment . Many of the cars were sold with extensive repairs and to date none of the owners have found any information regarding the crash and the sale of cars from R/R afterwards.

Biggest problem is not having a date and a location of the derailment .

April

Reality escapee
Yes they were / are shelby mustangs ............. most have turned up over the years but none of them were sold thru dealers after the derailment . Many of the cars were sold with extensive repairs and to date none of the owners have found any information regarding the crash and the sale of cars from R/R afterwards.

Biggest problem is not having a date and a location of the derailment .
In spite of being very low production, high-dollar rides one would have thought they wouldn't allow them to be sold in repairable condition. At least squish the bodies.

Liability issues and all.

April

kenw

5th Generation Texian
In spite of being very low production, high-dollar rides one would have thought they wouldn't allow them to be sold in repairable condition. At least squish the bodies.

April

alas, 1967 was a different time......

fwiw, my college room mate had a 69 GT500. absolutely, positively unbelieveable.

April

Reality escapee
Originally Posted by April

April

alas, 1967 was a different time......

fwiw, my college room mate had a 69 GT500. absolutely, positively unbelieveable.
In this case I'm glad they didn't squish them. ;)

One word on the GT500.

Drool.

:D

April

gt350shelb

Well we know where all but 1 of the cars are now ...........I would lean toward that one was so badly damaged it was scrapped.

remember back then they were just new cars and not a big deal if the were crushed......would a derailment on new mustangs make the news today?

Also back then there were no laws about repairing totaled cars and reselling them.

warrenroot

Oregon Trunk Railfan
It will be interesting to see if any new info can come out of this. Muscle cars are my second interest, and I am currently building a 1967 GT500.....

Tacoma Tom

I have worked in two scrap metal yards and we would get brand new cars from the railroad that I would turn into 3'X3' blocks of steel or crush them into pancakes and send them to the shredder. I crushed brand new Cadillacs,Lexus's,Porches,and every other car you can think of. You typically received all got these cars all at one time and you normally had a Police officer or some other official watching you destroy these cars.

What were they doing there? They were in a railroad car that derailed. From talking to the officials they told me that it didn't matter if the wheels just slipped off the rail at 10 mph or the whole car tipped over. There was no way for anyone to know if some damage happened to the car. It could have been anything from a bent frame,damage to the suspension,or a crack in the windshield or windows. In any case nobody is going to sign their name on the paper saying these cars are safe after a derailment. Because nobody is going to take the blame when a family of 4 goes flying off the side of a mountain and dies because that car was in a earlier railroad derailment and suffered damage to the frame and later cracked and failed.

Likewise nobody is going to ship the cars back to GM or Ford have the entire car torn apart,inspected,and put back together again. Railroads carry a lot of insurance for problems just like this one and it is no big deal for a multi billion dollar railroad to scrap a entire car full of new auto's that was insured for loss or damage to begin with.

So anytime I hear of brand new cars being sold by the railroad that were involved after a derailment I am very skeptical. But you story is a unique one. Back in the 1960's and probably all the way to the 1980's these things were handled a very different way. In those times it was common practice after a derailment to simply dig a huge hole next to the tracks and put all the damaged goods in the hole and bury it. These could be anything from microwaves,tv's,furniture,and brand new automobiles. It was also not uncommon if the car was damaged beyond repair to just put the entire boxcar with it's contents in the hole and bury everything. I have read countless stories of railroad workers and other contractors burying these damaged goods(including automobiles) and then coming back to the site weeks or months later and digging them back up and hauling them off. To this day there is many sites of former derailments with cars buried in the ground nobody has ever dug up or found.

I'm sure much like today nobody wanted to take responsibility for unforeseen damage to a automobile despite the lack of regulation wither it be the car dealer or the railroad in the 1960's. But unlike today I'm sure the railroads would just have a big auction once a year on damaged goods including cars and sell them to the highest bidder. If the car swerved off the road and killed someone because it was damaged in a derailment it was just bad luck for the person who bought it. It would almost be laughable back then to hear of someone suing the railroad because they bought a car that was defective after a derailment and I doubt it would even make it to court. Things are much different now days. Railroads can't even take the chance.

Gotrek

This is very intriguing. Muscle cars and railroads are two of my favorite subjects.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the Santa Fe Salvage Depot was not connected with the ATSF RR. Lots of companies use Santa Fe as a name. I'd bet they were either auctioned by the RR to Santa Fe salvage or maybe Santa Fe salvage was contracted to clean up the spill and simply took possession of the Shelby's after the RR's insurance paid the claim.

Maybe the RR's insurance contracted the clean up or auctioned the cars?

Is Santa Fe Salvage still in business?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)