SD75I-3? at Interbay. BNSF 283 is at the service track at Interbay Roundhouse 8/28

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
I saw the repainted and overhauled BNSF 283, SD75I this evening, Monday August 28, 2017, at the Interbay Roundhouse service tracks. From other peoples pictures, I couldn't tell if -3 is added to the engine name on the side of the frame near the nose like the GP60M-3's are now identified. The 283 was too far for me to see the identification number as I was rolling by at 45 mph. They were being upgraded with new EM2000 computer and a side brake operation station.

The BNSF 153 showed up so now we got four GP60M-3's here in Seattle. The 283 was just a visitor.

Finally saw the BNSF 283 again, and it just has SD75M on it's side but, it seems to be hanging around with the BNSF 254, which had the same overhaul as 283 with new paint. They both may be assigned here for local service along with the GP60M-3s.

Sunday (10-1-17) I saw #283 in the consist of a northbound along with Cascade green #1978, an SD40-2. The train looked like one of those "locals" that runs to Everett and Wenatchee based on the chip cars cars in the consist. #283 was in shiny new paint and as already noted, had "SD75M" stenciled on its side.

Unfortunately I did not get any photos as I was first in line at the Dayton St. crossing when the train passed by.

I finally got to see the repainted SD75M's when 253 & 255 led a northbound (tt/east) freight past the Edmonds marsh Wednesday afternoon (1-10-18).

03.jpg 04.jpg

They like to use them in captive service such as the transfers between Balmer Yard and Delta and occasionally on one of the garbage trains.

They like to use them in captive service such as the transfers between Balmer Yard and Delta and occasionally on one of the garbage trains.

I am hoping for that as it will give me more chances to photograph them in much the same way I have been able to photograph the SD60's. Do you know where the engines were repainted?

Mid America Car in Kansas City, MO. They overhauled 10 engines: 253, 254, 255, 261, 263, 265, 270, 280, 283, 294 and used 250 for parts. This is from fellow regular contributor to the Forum, Mark Gillings via Railfan and Railroad Nov 2017 issue.

Saw SD75M BNSF 238 stenciled for PRLX in white paint on it's hood side a few days ago. Also SD60Ms: BNSF 1406 and 1419 in brand new paint with the latest BNSF scheme, today go by with a transfer.

Saw SD75M BNSF 238 stenciled for PRLX in white paint on it's hood side a few days ago. Also SD60Ms: BNSF 1406 and 1419 in brand new paint with the latest BNSF scheme, today go by with a transfer.

I saw that train pass Sunset Ave. in Edmonds this afternoon (Friday 2-23). I was on the phone with my brother and couldn't jump out of the pickup for photos. They looked as though they had just left the paint shop. Cascade green units are becoming a rarity.

Still a few Geeps in Green. Also that was me going by at 1735 with the third Commuter train.

Still a few Geeps in Green.

From Wikipedia: The creation of BNSF started with the formation of a holding company on September 22, 1995. This new holding company purchased the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (often called the "Santa Fe") and Burlington Northern Railroad, and formally merged the railways into the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway on December 31, 1996. On January 24, 2005, the railroad's name was officially changed to "BNSF Railway," using the initials of its original name.

It has been nearly 22 years since the merger, so I imagine the pre-merger paint schemes will not be around for a whole lot longer. Get photos while you can.

Now more overhauled and repainted SD60Ms are showing up. BNSF 1412 and 1415 are in the Seattle area.

Thanks. My old MP 17 and MP 18 threads along with their photos vanished into the ether with the switch to the new forum. I will be on the lookout for older units to photograph and post up in my new Trains of Edmonds, WA. thread.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back