SD-9 Leads Light Power Move

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
Sd9

Gosh, Don't see SD9s hardly at all any more. Good Catch! Does the 1550 hang around Spokane or was it just passing through?

RS-1

Photographer
I've seen 1550 around Spokane for about a year now. It often works Parkwater Yard paired with a GP38-2, and occasionally with an SD40-2.

brad_in_omaha

Were all SD9's built with a high hood and then some were later converted like this one or were there some SD9's that came from the factory like this one.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
Were all SD9's built with a high hood and then some were later converted like this one or were there some SD9's that came from the factory like this one.
Not sure if this one came from the factory with a low hood or not, but it's definitely had some rebuild work. This is evidenced by the modern Spartan cab as opposed to the more rounded roof generally seen on early S Ds/Geeps.

And nice catch RS-1.

Jon Bentz

Yes - this unit is a re-build done by BNSF. It has a new cab and low nose and electrical upgrades. We had a similar SD-9 here in Seattle working the hump and Balmer Yard until last year. It's now gone as are most other first generation EMD's on BNSF. Aside from Spokane, are there any others on BNSF now?

Also, all SD-7's and SD-9's were delivered with high noses. EMD low noses started the GP-18, GP-20 and SD-18's in the early sixties. I think that there were a few GP-9s delivered with low noses near the end of production of that model.

brad_in_omaha

A little google search turned up this on TO: "BNSF 1550, 1551, 1552 and 1553" are the SD9's left in serive on Class I railroads.

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
Yes, Southern Pacific had 20 GP9s that were delivered with low noses straight from La Grange.

http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/gp09_photos/3709_sp-gp9-bob_dengler.jpg
I know the picture is labeled GP9, and the roster I found on the internet says the SP 3709 is a GP9, BUT DARN, the loco in the picture sure looks like a
standard GP20! Slanted low nose, big blower behind the cab.
maybe it's normally aspirtated, 1500 horse? Some SP thing?

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but the first low nose GP9s and GP7s that I saw were on the CNW. I thought they were chop noses that CNW did themselves. Maybe not. The nose was flat, not slanted down like the GP20. That was just after the introduction of the GP20. Don't think I ever saw a low nose SD9 or SD7 on the Burlington till way later.

westbnsf

Railfan Photographer
Interesting little switcher. Is it normally in service on the Marshall to Pullman branch of the W&I Railroad?

Nice catch of the SD9 too. I remember the days of sitting at Yardley and watching the old SD9s still in BN paint switch cars. It used to be that 6198, 6195, and 6138 were always in or near the yard. Times sure have changed.

Greg Elems

The SP 3709 is indeed a GP9 as delivered from EMD with 1750 hp. EMD's trade mark slant on the nose for the first generation geeps started with that order. IIRC a company in Arizona bought a couple of low nose GP9's about the same time SP ordered theirs. Another identification point is the fuel tank and air reservoirs. The GP20 had fuel tanks and air reservoirs more like a GP30 and having said that GN bought some 20's with GP9 style fuel and air reservoirs. WP's GP20's had the bigger fuel tanks like the GP30.

markgillings

BNSF Gandy
I remember the days of sitting at Yardley and watching the old SD9s still in BN paint switch cars. It used to be that 6198, 6195, and 6138 were always in or near the yard.
BNSF 6138:1 became BNSF 1723 and was retired 04/03/08. Sold to DeBruce Grain.
BNSF 6195:1 became BNSF 1752 and was retired 10/28/10.
BNSF 6198:1 became BNSF 1742:1 and was retired 04/03/08. Sold to DeBruce Grain.

RS-1

Photographer
Interesting little switcher. Is it normally in service on the Marshall to Pullman branch of the W&I Railroad?

Nice catch of the SD9 too. I remember the days of sitting at Yardley and watching the old SD9s still in BN paint switch cars. It used to be that 6198, 6195, and 6138 were always in or near the yard. Times sure have changed.
Westbnsf, the reporting mark on the switcher is WRIX whereas the Washington and Idaho Railway's reporting mark is WIR, so I believe this is a newly rebuilt locomotive on its way out from Western Rail, Inc. in Airway Heights. This is the first time that I have seen this particular switcher, so perhaps Bruce Butler could fill us in on the details.

Bruce Butler

Westbnsf, the reporting mark on the switcher is WRIX whereas the Washington and Idaho Railway's reporting mark is WIR, so I believe this is a newly rebuilt locomotive on its way out from Western Rail, Inc. in Airway Heights. This is the first time that I have seen this particular switcher, so perhaps Bruce Butler could fill us in on the details.
I really can't add much to what "RS-1" has said as I also have not seen this switcher before. RS-1 has identified the correct reporting marks for "Western Rail" (WRIX) and "Washington and Idaho" (WIR). I don't think that this particular unit came out of Western Rail's Airway Heights facility, but I haven't worked the Geiger spur for several weeks.

I would speculate that it came into Spokane on the UP and was interchanged to BNSF at Erie St. Possibly a lease returning to Western Rail. The picture shows it headed to Yardley from Erie St. From Yardley it could go to either Western at Airway Heights (BNSF Cheney EWG) or the POVA facility at Usk WA (BNSF Sandpoint POVA). As RS-1 mentions above, It could also be an outbound loco that came from the POVA shop in Usk.

For more information on the Western Rail - POVA shop arrangement click on the "Our Shop" link on the Western Rail web site shown below. I will say that if there ever was an ideal Win-Win arrangement between two organizations, this one is it.

Here is Western Rail's web site:

http://www.westernrailinc.com/

I don't find any mention of "WRIX 165".

westbnsf

Railfan Photographer
Thanks Mark for the info. It is hard to keep up with all of the renumbering and retirement of locomotives that BNSF has done over the last couple years.

RS-1 that would make more sense. I just momentarily forgot about the Western Rail in Airway Heights. Although I have seen WIRX lettered locomotives on the Washington and Idaho Railroad several years back. But I suspect the WIR would have plenty of power now with their two FP9A's (6304 and 6311), and GP16 (316) and GP30 (20).

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)