Safetran 040201 "Hybrid" Bell

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Kritischer

It was by luck that I knew someone willing to do a labor exchange trade for an RxR crossing bell. I just thought it was going to be a bell with contacts until I opened it up and said "What's this?".

Down the rabbit hole I went.

Evidently the Safetran Model 040201 is a unique item and while there is this excellent article I'm finding it kind of weird by Safetran seemed to distance themselves from this product.

1626922482953.png

On the same site (above) the pdf link to safetrans site was dead of course, but even the archived link (images right below) looks like it was I don't know... edited to a redirect. For context... this is irregular for a few reasons.
  • Every single other archived document is a pdf. his one is a redirect
  • It's the only one with a single capture (the redirect)

1626923387462.png

I did see one go recently on Ebay for a surprising sum and while I'd like to keep it I also like money more right now.
When I really couldn't find out anything else I decided to take some photos and share them but I said screw that I'll make a bad video.

I didn't think it would be fair to sell it privately without letting anyone else see something they might not otherwise get the chance to.

Anyway here it is. The timing circuit is still a mystery because it's covered in epoxy.

I think that either the fully "electronic bell" came out so close in time to the 040201 that it was instantly obsolete or perhaps there were failures that resulted in death(s) and... corrective actions. If it weren't for the dead links and lack of info I'd just assume it was the former.

Anyway that's all I got. Let me know if you know anything about it, want it, or know someone that does.

Attachments

• 1626922685799.png
    1626922685799.png
    43 KB · Views: 164
  • 1626922889211.png
    1626922889211.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 1626923152833.png
    1626923152833.png
    103 KB · Views: 155

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back