S3000 Nikon

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

jlevai

Hello, I have a small camera called an S3000. Is it possible to get professional quality pictures with it? Thanks.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
depends on the definition of 'professional'. You can get very good photos with almost any modern digital camera.

Will this work taking wedding photos? no.
Racy models? no
extreme closeups of bees and flowers? no
slow shutter wispy waterfalls? no

trackside taking good photos of trains and such during the day and printing them at up to 8x10? you bet.

A more expensive camera won't necessarily take better pictures, it will just ALLOW you to get better pics at a wider range of situations. My advice is to take some pics and see if you like them. If you do then that's all you need to worry about. If you have questions, post some of your pics here and we'll be glad to help.

jlevai

Here are two shots I would like to share that I took with the S3000 camera. The ISO was at 80 on the one where I was standing on the other side of the train. I used a setting for moving objects. I probably should have used manual for this one, if the S3000 has it.

Thanks for any feedback.

zanara

I am not professional in shotting but I think your second photo is too light...however, the Nikon S3000's pics usually have flares, so it is acceptable. Anyway, nice work! I admire yours :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)