Rock Island Doodlebugs- Iowa service

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

muralist0221

There are many on here who have comprehensive old schedules or timetables of "fallen flags" like the Rock Island. A man told me about his experience of going off to Korea from Ottumwa, Iowa via Los Angeles. He claims to have boarded a Rock Island Doodlebug for Eldon. Iowa which was one of the flag stops for the Golden State and the Imperial. It was a scheduled stop for #43 (think that was the Californian). Have seen photos of Rock Island Doodlebugs, but was not aware of one which might have run between Des Moines to Eldon, Iowa. It makes sense that Rock Island would have used the Doodlebugs for Des Moines passengers to connect with California bound trains. Can anyone help?

tcourtney

The rock did have doodlebug service between Eldon, Iowa and Des Moines. I have a photo of doodlebug leaving Eldon from approx 1940s with caption stating "daily except sunday service between Des Moines and Eldon".

muralist0221

Many thanks for your reply! It makes sense that Rock Island would want a Des Moines connection to the Golden State and other California trains. It also made sense that with the decline of passengers, the Doodlebugs were sent elsewhere. One author claimed the railroad was an also ran passenger-wise, but they really tried. Was blessed to have ridden on five of their passenger trains.

fireinv

Have been looking for photos of the Rock Doodlebug in Iowa, as a young lad, I lived in Corydon and the Doodlebug brought my newspapers in every afternoon around 3:30 for my route. If anybody knows where there are photos would appreciate it

eldonia

Eldon IA Doodlebug

Looking for any information about or pictures of the doodlebug that ran from the Rock Island Depot in Eldon, Iowa.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)