Road trip through Eastern WA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

RoadRailer

FP Engineer
This past Saturday, the plans were set to meet Dan Bolyard and get a signed copy of his book, Big Bend Railroads (Arcadia Publishing), in Moses Lake, WA. I made my way north though Bruce, Warden and Wheeler, then came home through Othello with a side jaunt to Providence Hill and down through Hatton Coulee.

1) Columbia Basin favors the SD9s. CBRW 171 is joined by new recruits, 12(TCRY) and 651 (MRL).
2-4) The last of the former Spirit of Washington dinner train cars remain at Wheeler getting their trucks repaired prior to movement to their new home with the Iowa Pacific.
CBRW 108, City of Renton; CBRW 103, Cascade Winery; CBRW 105 Chateau Ste. Michelle.

IMG_7458.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG
IMG_7460.JPG
IMG_7461.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
On to Othello where several brand new Cryo-trans refers were staged to be loaded. Of note to me where the yellow painted ends for the excess height, as they used to be orange.
There are numerous reminders of the Milwaukee Road in town, but these were new to me. MILW 33989 built in 10-38 and MILW 34780 built in 5-40.

IMG_7462.JPG
IMG_7463.JPG

Since it turned out to be a great sunny day, I had to make it to Providence Hill and catch some action in the afternoon sun.
7) Unnknowlingly, this EB grainer followed me up the hill as it arrived only 15 minutes after me.
8-9) I headed into Lind, only to race back up the hill as a WB grainer was crawling up. As I got to the summit, this EB Q started alerted me to its presence at the distant crossing. A two train meet on the hill!
10) Time to follow this WB grainer towards home. Here its making good track time at Cunningham.

IMG_7464.JPG
IMG_7465.JPG
IMG_7466.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG

11) After leapfrogging the grainer down the hill through the coulee, I got surprised by this EB stacker coming through Hatton. The grainer stopped at the extension of the siding/double track, so my chase was over.
12) I hightailed it back to Pasco and caught this EB manifest at Glade.
13) Last one for the day as another empty grainer heads to a crew change at Husky.

IMG_7468.JPG
IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7470.JPG

This past Saturday, the plans were set to meet Dan Bolyard and get a signed copy of his book, Big Bend Railroads (Arcadia Publishing), in Moses Lake, WA. I made my way north though Bruce, Warden and Wheeler, then came home through Othello with a side jaunt to Providence Hill and down through Hatton Coulee.

1) Columbia Basin favors the SD9s. CBRW 171 is joined by new recruits, 12(TCRY) and 651 (MRL).
2-4) The last of the former Spirit of Washington dinner train cars remain at Wheeler getting their trucks repaired prior to movement to their new home with the Iowa Pacific.
CBRW 108, City of Renton; CBRW 103, Cascade Winery; CBRW 105 Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Great shots. Love to see the power! A few corrections with the passenger cars. The long coach should be the Columbia Winery (the Cascade had a kitchen at one end), and the rounded end car was the Olympic (the Chateau Ste Michelle had 24 dining seats, 16 lounge seats, and a large open platform).

Thanks for the pics.

-Dave

On to Othello where several brand new Cryo-trans refers were staged to be loaded. Of note to me where the yellow painted ends for the excess height, as they used to be orange.
There are numerous reminders of the Milwaukee Road in town, but these were new to me. MILW 33989 built in 10-38 and MILW 34780 built in 5-40.

Love the shot of the reefers. Some pics of this very area several years back almost inspired me to model a representation of them. Very modelgenic. :)

-Dave

Great shots. Love to see the power! A few corrections with the passenger cars. The long coach should be the Columbia Winery (the Cascade had a kitchen at one end), and the rounded end car was the Olympic (the Chateau Ste Michelle had 24 dining seats, 16 lounge seats, and a large open platform).

Thanks for the pics.

-Dave

I will have to fix that as I was going off what I had been listed in RRPA and on http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/C7.htm, which are incorrect.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back