RJ Corman, NS RP-E4C slug, MAW, NS HH/caboose and CF&E all in a day!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

alittlevanwerty

Thursday was one of the most sucessful railfaning days I've had yet. I started out in Celina, finding RJ Corman ready to head west from the distribution center. I filmed them crossing US127 in Celina.

Then I drove north because my goal for the day was to investigate the MAW's Cecil Ohio operation. As I approached the NS Fostoria district, I could see a pair of NS horseheads sitting. This turned out to be the Leipsic local, with a RP-E4C slug on point. I've caught this run heading west before but never east plus this was my first video of a Norfolk Southern slug. They were waiting for a green signal so I set up in Broughton.
1587699286692.png

Norfolk Southern mother and slug local heading to Leipsic by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

I decided to give chase, getting ahead of them in Melrose and then Continental before breaking off the chase.

Heading past Lafarge on my was to Cecil I could see about 20 tanks inside the compound, as well as a MWCX gon by the road. Upon entering Cecil I spotted a pickup by the switch. Crossing the tracks I saw what appeared to be a tank but after backing up fo a second look it was the MAW's locomotive. I had to get out and watch for a minute before I could tell they were moving. The video's I've seen tell no lies, their track has a geat deal of slant and waves. Well I too 3 min of video but they parked by the switch, shut don the loco and drove away.
1587699296130.png

MAW CNUR 7 Cecil Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
1587699304785.png

1587699315641.png

1587699322095.png

Heading east down the line I saw a long string of gons (MWCX) sitting in in Antwerp, though I am not sure if the MAW had just set them there of if NS did.
1587699363322.png

Cars set out for the MAW Antwerp Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Following the line closer to New Haven I spotted NS 5186 GP38-2 HH with the NS 555555 caboose! Yay bonus round. They were coming off the stub to BF G. I followed and filmed this train for over an hour. This was another one on my list of must have catches.
1587699368490.png

Norfolk Southern 5186 GP38-2 Highood with NS 555555 caboose by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

1587699373748.png

Norfolk Southern 5186 GP38-2 Highood with NS 555555 caboose by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
1587699379014.png

1587699384423.png

1587699444107.png

I went to the CF&E yard last, spotting MNAR 3898 building the FWLI. I had hoped they would leave before I had to but no chance. Luckily by the time I was done and back in Van Wert, the FWLI had not yet past through so I still got my video. 3 short lines and 2 locals in a day!
1587699454946.png

MNAR 3898 on CF&E railroad in Ft Wayne Indiana by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)