Riding Private Car from LA to Oakland - Railfan Trip

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

roee

On January 31st I rode on LA Rail's public repositioning move of Overland Train and Pacific Trail from LA to Oakland behind the Coast Starlight #14. There were some extra Amtrak cars on the train as well. All of the extra cars were moving to Oakland for the Reno Fun train.

Below are some videos. All are iPhone videos that were hand held out the door of the Pacific Trail.

The first video is us meeting a Pacific Surfliner Santa Susana.

After leaving SLO we ran into some problems climbing Cuesta Grade. This video is of the Coast Starlight backing down the grade.

After we failed to make it up the grade the train backed to SLO and tried to make a second attempt to climb the hill with the HEP shut off and try and give it another go.

Here is a video of the train crossing the bridge north of SLO

Here is a video of the second attempt to climb the grade. We got a bit further, but not much.

This time I tried a time lapse of the train backing down the horseshoe curve.

After backing to SLO again the UP Helpers were called and added to the front of the Coast Starlight and they pulled the train over the hill and cut off at Santa Margarita. It was dark by the time the UP helpers were hooked up and pulled the train over the hill.

Final video is the train at Jack London Square heading to Oakland Yard to cut off the extra equipment.

It was an awesome trip and I had a blast. My wife even had a really good time. It was neat that there were only a few people on the trip and that it was just a fun railfan trip.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back