Regional Rail Express - 9: Valea lui Mihai (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 8: Debrecen (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/regional-rail-express-8-debrecen-50-p.13618

Videos for this part:

July 29 2018

Sunday morning at 5:27 a.m. I reached Haláp - one stop ahead of Vámospércs. 418.321 and 418.198 pulled Sz 6810 to the Hungarian border station with Romania, Nyírábrány.
heck0901.jpg

heck0902.jpg

Mist rose from the meadows and fields at sunrise. The settlement south of the railway could only be accessed via an unpaved road.
heck0903.jpg

heck0904.jpg

Towards the village centre.
heck0905.jpg

The mood is nice - so would be a train.
heck0906.jpg

Ah - there it is.
A passenger was already waiting the whole time for the train towards Debrecen.
heck0907.jpg

FOXrail Sulzer 609 008 hauled containers to Romania.
heck0908.jpg

Sunrays and ground-level mist turned the Puszta grove into a fairy tale forest.
heck0909.jpg

Sz 6817 Nyírábrány - Debrecen approached from Vámospércs at 6:30.
heck0910.jpg

heck0911.jpg

418.198 returned alone providing a lovely departure spectacle:

heck0912.jpg

heck0913.jpg

Luxurious infrastructure at the station.
heck0914.jpg

At 6:55 a.m., 418.326 with IC 1406 "Corona" Braşov - Budapest-Keleti rushed past.
heck0915.jpg

I was about to depart at 7:29 a.m., 418.177 - in charge of international local trains like the day before - approached hauling Sz 6812 Debrecen - Oradea.
heck0916.jpg

heck0917.jpg

We met 418.321, which we had seen in the morning, with Sz 6827 Baia Mare - Debrecen at Hungarian border station Nyírábrány.
heck0918.jpg

After a not so short ride, Romanian border station Valea lui Mihai (in Hungarian: Érmihályfalva) was reached at 9:22 a.m. - including one hour time difference.
heck0919.jpg

A main attraction is the group of semaphore signals of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy heritage.
heck0920.jpg

We already know FOXrail 609 008, noted.
heck0921.jpg

Colourful meeting of trains while I had to wait inside until a friendly border officer had checked my ID.
heck0922.jpg

Then, I could get off and admire the collection of classic diesel power.
heck0923.jpg

heck0924.jpg

820 361 had shunted to the other end of R 6812 for the journey to Oradea.
heck0925.jpg

Parade of Sulzers including 601 213. Notice the subtler font of the newly introduced UIC numbering on the loco front than in other parts of Romania.
heck0926.jpg

heck0927.jpg

After border control, I did not have enough time to reach the level crossing hundreds of metres away. In 90 degree heat with full luggage I marched into that direction, immediately meeting the first horse-drawn cart, and just made it to capture this village road view of the train departing to Oradea. The signs on Strada Vörösmarty Mihály are new, the double level crossing barriers of the two lines towards Episcopia Bihor / Oradea and Debrecen still good old technology.
heck0928.jpg

Five minutes later, 418.177 returned to Hungary, the line to Oradea in the background.
heck0929.jpg

heck0930.jpg

GM-modernized "Jimmy" 640 922 stood perfectly for the signals, thanks to the diverted InterCity.
heck0931.jpg

I walked to the edge of town through typical old Hungarian village streets, mostly unpaved. I particularly like the abundance of public fruit trees, most were ripe just at that time.
heck0932.jpg

From the train, I had found a nice spot at the level crossing of Strada Octavian Goga featuring a view across the Puszta towards Hungary. It also offered a convenient place to wait in the shade. Sz/R 6822 Debrecen - Satu Mare arrived at 11:17 behind 418.325.
heck0933.jpg

Definitely a MÁV train in Romania.
heck0934.jpg

We already have seen Magyar Magánvasút Faur 429 009 at Debrecen.
heck0935.jpg

Just as I prepared to change to the other line, 418.325 was being transferred back.
heck0936.jpg

I liked the scenery at Strada Charles Darwin - however, didn't put up the video tripod in this poorest corner of Valea lui Mihai.
heck0937.jpg

The GM approached with IR 1367 "Hargita" Budapest-Keleti (dep. 6:07 a.m.) - Braşov (arr. during the diversion 2:07 a.m.! - perhaps time-wise the longest daytime train route in Europe) at 12:49.
heck0938.jpg

A boy was herding some goats next to me.
heck0939.jpg

Welcome to THE country of express trains on regional rail lines!
heck0940.jpg

I hurried to catch - to my shame, but the rail connections were lousy – the 1 p.m. bus at the "Kry-Bel"-bar in the town centre. I made it in time, but nothing came... we will solve this mystery soon.

At least I now had time to explore the well-kept centre.
heck0942.jpg

Hungarian flag on the tower of the reformed church. Some art nouveau elements could be found as well.
heck0943.jpg

The synagogue.
heck0941.jpg

Stork offspring.
heck0944.jpg

If someone would like to buy a classic Dacia 1310 Berlina. ;-)
heck0945.jpg

I walked to the roundabout of Drum național 19 Oradea - Satu Mare - Livada. Really, there was a bus station here. And what else? A second "Kry-Bel"-bar!
At 3 p.m., I boarded a small bus on the route Oradea - Satu Mare - Baia Mare. At least I found a seat. We paused at Satu Mare, which turned out to be a mistake as the bus heated up to about 100 degrees. Then, we picked up more and more people, so the driver subsequently had to leave passengers behind at following stops.

I would not have thought that it would be possible, but we arrived at Baia Mare at 5:45 p.m., perfectly for me directly next to platform 1 of the main railway station.
heck0946.jpg

IR 1642 to Bucharest about to depart at 5:52 in front of gigantic thunderstorm clouds - even bolts of lightning could be occasionally seen in the background.
heck0947.jpg

You can watch the departure on video from minute 6:00. Considering the clouds, I quickly walked to my Eurohotel on Bulevardul București towards the centre...
heck0948.jpg

July 30 2018

... as the next day I had to depart already at 4:30 a.m. - according to my C.E.T. body clock even 3:30 a.m. The nice receptionists had prepared packed lunch for me, I walked on the shortest path through blocks of flats to the station.
heck0949.jpg

The driver took care of his "Jimmy" before hauling IR 1746 towards Bucharest up to Dej under a relatively full moon - a lovely day could begin. I sat down in a compartment and was joined by a family of five - soon, they would have more space as I was not about to travel far...
heck0950.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back