Regional Rail Express - 59: Transilvania II (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 58: Balaton V/Istria VI (50 p.)

Video for this part:

January 7 2023

The most photographed train of the past months in Vienna was Regiojet 1033/1034 Prague - Vienna Schwechat Airport - Prague, as a Steiermarkbahn (StB) class 1142 was often added to aid the change of directions at the airport.
heck5901.jpg

March 2 2023

Arsenalsteg - a bridge for cyclists and pedestrians - was finally opened to the public in 2020 after already having been constructed a decade earlier together with the new Vienna main station. The city quarter it connects to was also completely newly erected on the previous railroad yard grounds of former Vienna Southern/Eastern terminal stations.
Regiojet 1034 Flughafen Wien - Prague passed the main station car loading tracks, both Regiojet and ÖBB trains still consisting of old ÖBB coaches.
heck5902.jpg

MÁV 480 012 sporting children's paintings hauling EC 147 "Lehár" Wien Hbf - Budapest-Keleti met Railjet Express 184 "Dolomiten/Dolomiti" from Bozen via Innsbruck formed of a set capable of operating in Italy switching to the yard.
heck5903.jpg

REX 2519 from Bratislava.
heck5904.jpg

IC 45 Wien Hbf - Košice departed as StB 1142.578 had finished its Regiojet duties.
heck5905.jpg

March 4 2023

Arsenalsteg enables rail photos including St. Stephen's Cathedral close to ground level for the first time.
heck5906.jpg

Regiojet 1032 Budapest-Déli - Prague took the line crossing below to the northern tracks.
heck5907.jpg

The featured train of the following report parts - EC 143 "Transilvania" Wien Hbf - Cluj-Napoca with through cars to Baia Mare - departing in front of St. Stephen's Cathedral and Kahlenberg:

The train had been called "Transsylvania" back in 2019, the name was changed for 2020. In the first report part you could see the train near Vienna and in the "highlands" near Cluj:

Regional Rail Express - 16: Transsylvania I (50 p.)

heck5908.jpg

Panoramic image with Wien-Arsenal radio tower from 1975.
heck5909.jpg

August 4 2018

We return to the line Cluj - Oradea and travel west through the Crișana area. The easternmost parts were shown in the "Transsylvania" trip report, I also had visited in 2015:

Winter in Romania 2015 - 2: Cluj - Viseu (50 p.) (in German, please use autotranslate)

However, this part is a continuation of the 2018 regional rail express tour. Previously, I had stayed at Suceava for the seasonal express Minsk - Varna, which probably won't run again for any foreseeable future...
Next morning at 8:23 a.m., I boarded long-distance IR 1833 Iași - Timișoara Nord which almost takes 16 hours to cross a large chunk of Romania. Images from the start of the journey can be found at the end of this part:

Regional Rail Express - 14: Suceava (50 p.)

I arrived at Ciucea (pronounced: "Choochah") after a 9-hour-ride. (video screenshot)
heck5910.jpg

I had booked accommodation at Poieni 3 miles back towards Cluj, but at least Ciucea featured a grocery store where I could stock up on liquids in 90 degree heat.
heck5911.jpg

One end of Ciucea features Romanian semaphore signals, as already seen in other parts of the country:

Valea Mărului:

Romania 2015 - 13: Through Olt River Valley (50 p.) (in German, please use autotranslate)

Dealul Ștefăniței near Vișeu de Sus:

Winter in Romania 2015 - 10: Multimedia-Slideshow +Goodbye to Vișeu (50 p.) (in German, please use autotranslate)

A Desiro DMU as R 3076 Oradea - Cluj approaching through the excessive vegetation.
heck5912.jpg

heck5913.jpg

A Transferoviar Călători (TFC) former DB 614 arrived as IR 15037 Cluj - Oradea. A young man smoking during the stop was so friendly to lean back for my photo...
heck5914.jpg

6:03 p.m. arrival at Poieni (Kissebes in Hungarian).
heck5915.jpg

I walked along the main road with my fully loaded backpack and checked into Casa Alesia - rather luxurious, large rooms, mine featured a roof terrace. It also includes a restaurant, so off to a cool beer.
heck5916.jpg

A few feet from the accommodation: InterRegional Călători (IRC) is the second private operator on this line using ex-DB class 628 DMUs. R 15856 Oradea - Cluj passing rural life at 8:09 p.m.
heck5917.jpg

Industrial remains, a Dacite quarry had been opened in 1930 for the road Bucharest - Budapest.
heck5918.jpg

Main attraction of the trip was IRN 1932 Oradea - Mangalia which we had followed before:

Regional Rail Express - 13: Medgidia - Eforie (50 p.)

heck5919.jpg

Hauled by star-"Jimmy" of Cluj shed, 640 950.
heck5920.jpg

Another world right next to the main road...
heck5921.jpg

Contrasts viewed from the roof terrace.
heck5922.jpg

August 5 2018

I rose early for IRN 1741 Bucharest - Satu Mare at 6:28 a.m., returning with the decorated engine.
heck5923.jpg

heck5924.jpg

The smoking train disappeared into the fog.
heck5925.jpg

heck5926.jpg

I climbed the valley side to the forest border one hour later. Light yapping was to be heard from behind...
IRC R 15853 to Oradea in front of the mining ruins.
heck5927.jpg

Munții Vlădeasa in the background, part of the Apuseni mountains.
heck5928.jpg

St. Nicholas Orthodox church at Valea Drăganului, constructed 1972-82.
heck5929.jpg

First light in the valley of Crișul Repede river (Hungarian: Sebes-Körös).
heck5930.jpg

Passing Valea Drăganului halt.
heck5931.jpg

International IR/IC 362 "Ady Endre" Cluj - Budapest-Keleti appeared at 7:55 a.m.
heck5932.jpg

heck5933.jpg

A farmer took his horse up to graze on the slope, in the meantime the yapping behind me was getting louder. Obviously a litter of street dog puppies, as the barking mother finally emerged from the forest. I decided to strategically relocate to the vicinity of the horse.
Usually, I am not afraid of stray dogs, but in February of the same years I had been bitten by a particularly aggressive one:

Biting East '16-'18 - 26: Buhăieşti - Open Range (50 p.)

heck5934.jpg

TFC IR 15031 to Oradea followed formed of a previously Dutch NS "Wadloper"unit.
heck5935.jpg

heck5936.jpg

IRC R 15852 to Cluj.
heck5937.jpg

I waited for IRN 1931 Mangalia - Oradea.
heck5938.jpg

heck5939.jpg

Impressions along the main road.
heck5940.jpg

Someone in the municipality must have gotten those orange garbage cans cheaply, this exact type and color had been common in Vienna decades ago.
heck5941.jpg

I took the luggage to the station. The infrastructure highlight of Ciucea are the Austro-Hungarian signals at the Western end of the station - you can find three different semaphore types along a few miles of line here.
IR 1834 Timișoara - Iași passed the station punctually at 11:27 a.m.
heck5942.jpg

heck5943.jpg

heck5944.jpg

Viewed from the freight shed.
heck5945.jpg

Shed and church.
heck5946.jpg

I relaxed inside the cool waiting room of the station.
heck5947.jpg

My IRC R 15855 to Oradea approached early at 1:25 p.m.
heck5948.jpg

heck5949.jpg

"NOBODY wants THAT!"
heck5950.jpg

Next time we will continue with current images taken a little further to the west... :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back