Really Slow Sunday

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

brad_in_omaha

I started out about 1pm yesterday, and headed west to check out the BNSF between Omaha and Lincoln. I got almost to Greenwood before I saw my first train, it was a Westbound BNSF manifest train with two Boeing 737s on the head end. I finally got far enough in front of it to park the car and get a shot almost in Lincoln. I didn't really have a plan yesterday, but going all the way in to Lincoln wasn't exactly what I intended to do, but since I was so close, I figured I would go look at the new SW 40th Street Bridge that goes over the west end of the BNSF Hobson Yard. The new bridge is complete and it has a perfect view of the westbound fueling rack. Perfect for spotting locomotives you would like to chase west. It was really muddy around the bridge since they just finished building it so I didn't have anywhere to park and take a photo, but the fueling rack was completely empty anyways. After that I went back to Waverly and saw two more trains, one eastbound and one westbound. I had already missed the power on both, but since we were heading back towards Omaha, I followed the Eastbound. Finally caught up to the power at Ashland, but sun was at a terrible angle for eastbounds so I just watch with my eyes and not the camera. So on the that half of the trip, I saw three trains and photographed one of them. After arriving back at Omaha, we had to run an errand and then went downtown. There was a UP Grain Train just rolling down the hill in Omaha so I grabbed a shot of it and then headed to the Bluffs. There was absolutely nothing going on over in CB yesterday. They yards were all dead. By that time it was starting to get dark so we went to dinner and called it a day.

Here are the three photos I took yesterday:

1. BNSF 5494 West just east of Lincoln
24595381415_879a865a3d_o.jpg20160124SC8A0348
by Brad Williams, on Flickr

2. The Boeing 737s on the BANS 5494 West Train
24299858940_65365bbfbb_o.jpg20160124SC8A0351

3. UP Grain Train in Downtown Omaha
24227621279_77ed2998dd_o.jpg20160124SC8A0355

Good shots Brad. It's been really slow every time I've been trackside lately, really sucks:(

Good shots Brad. It's been really slow every time I've been trackside lately, really sucks:(

Thanks! Yeah, sure a change from two years ago when all the oil trains pushed all the traffic down this way and it was non stop action! Not sure I have ever gone a whole day without seeing a single coal train...

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been wondering the same thing... what happened to all the traffic? I just got back last month from an extended overseas assignment for work, haven't been out much but the few times I have (stopped by Ashland yesterday) it's been the slowest I remember since moving here in 03. Guessing BNSF won't be doing more double-tracking construction on the Creston sub anytime soon.

Welcome home! Just my opinions but: Coal's on the decline due to conversions to natural gas as well as EPA regs. Oil trains are on the decline due to the glut of oil currently on the market. General freight is down due to a sluggish economy.

Due to the lack of traffic on the Creston Sub I decided to drive up north last weekend to check out the UP traffic. Unfortunately despite adhering to any and all safety rules i.e. never trespassed on railroad property an a-hole conductor called the Missouri Valley police on me. The officer was actually very professional and polite when he saw my camera, actually seemed a little miffed his time was wasted. Rail-fanning has always been a sort of escape/sanctuary for me, just a get away from the daily stress of everything. I truly believe if any suspicious activity is occurring the ones to notice and report it first will be a dedicated fan, this logic of course falls on deaf ears. Given the paranoid BS of some ass-hats and the lack of traffic I think I'm about done.

Due to the lack of traffic on the Creston Sub I decided to drive up north last weekend to check out the UP traffic. Unfortunately despite adhering to any and all safety rules i.e. never trespassed on railroad property an a-hole conductor called the Missouri Valley police on me. The officer was actually very professional and polite when he saw my camera, actually seemed a little miffed his time was wasted. Rail-fanning has always been a sort of escape/sanctuary for me, just a get away from the daily stress of everything. I truly believe if any suspicious activity is occurring the ones to notice and report it first will be a dedicated fan, this logic of course falls on deaf ears. Given the paranoid BS of some ass-hats and the lack of traffic I think I'm about done.

It is something we all may have to put up with during these paranoid times. If you were doing nothing wrong and the responding officer was professional and polite, ask for his business card and e-mail him some of your photos. It will help present railfans in a positive manner to the local police force.

Traffic has been really slow in Omaha and Council Bluffs. All I see is mixed freights and the OMAX Coal Trains occasionally. Ashland seems to be busy in the evening. The yards in CB have been half empty as of late. Dont really see alot of UP Coal Trains anymore. It also seems Im waiting for an hour just to see a couple of trains.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back