Rare GP 60M @ Interbay, WA and in new paint BNSF paint scheme.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
When I went by Interbay with my commuter train, this evening, I saw the first GP60M in Seattle in many years plus the very first one in the BNSF orange and green scheme that I've seen. Engine was BNSF 104. Don't know if it's just visiting or is joining the 4 GP60 B units in the area for local work and more GP 60Ms will show up.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for it up north.

I was living in Chicagoland in the late 80's-early 90's when the GP60M's and GP60B's were brand new and leading Santa Fe freights into the Windy City. I believe they were the first units since the FP45 and passenger U Boats to come from the factory in the traditional silver & red War Bonnet scheme.

Seems like it may be a new permanent feature in the area since it just came out of the maintenance shed. Whether in Seattle or a nearby city in the Northwest, watch for it on the mainline soon. That's GP 60M, BNSF 104.

Yesterday, GP 60M, BNSF 105, showed up in fresh paint in the newest scheme at the Interbay Roundhouse, so now we have two A units to go with our 4 B units.

Heard today that GP 60Ms, 104 and 105, are going to be a fixture around here on locals. They both are having some teething problems after the overhauls they received. Part of the overhaul was a change which was a removal of the desk top controls and back to a left side operating station like some of the newer GM's.

BNSF 123 also has shown up and it says on the side in the front: GP 60M-3!! Again in the newer paint scheme.

Yesterday saw BNSF 128 in shiny new paint switching by itself for a switch job at Balmer Yard at Interbay. The setting sun’s angle really made the paint very shiny. Also, saw a newly painted 155 at the roundhouse. These newly overhauled and upgraded GP60M-3s are making a big impacted in the area. I wonder how many will end up being assigned here?

I saw a GP60M-3 switching at Vancouver about 10 days ago, but I don't remember the number.

Bruce

Now 156 is here, too. Not sure why we are getting the GP60M-3s since I see a lot of rebuilt GP39-3s here, too. The number of hills on main and branch lines might be a good answer about the extra 1800 hp over the GP39-3s being the big plus. With the rebuilds and repaints, less and less engines, with the old paint schemes, are out there so get those pictures now. I saw a Santa Fe painted C-44-9W, BNSF 638 on a oil train on Thursday and some really old SD70Ms, still in original BN paint, on various trains. Traffic is up so stored engines are coming out to add their horsepower to the fleet.

Now quite a pair at Interbay is a GP 60M-3 and an old SW together as a switching locomotive set. Saw it Friday but didn’t see what numbers they were.

I saw 156 pass through Edmonds Sunday afternoon (2-11-18) as the trailing unit of a southbound (tt/west). I'll post photos up in my MP 17 thread in the western US forum.

I saw 156 pass through Edmonds Sunday afternoon (2-11-18) as the trailing unit of a southbound (tt/west).

I saw these engines coming into Chicago on the Santa Fe mainline back when they were brand new in War Bonnet colors.
02.jpg

Model ID-ing is easy when BNSF paints it on the diesel.
03.jpg

Another GP60M-3 seen was BNSF 138 hanging around the roundhouse on Monday 3/19. Looks like they keep on shipping the SD75Ms and GP60M-3s out here.

BNSF 123 also has shown up and it says on the side in the front: GP 60M-3!! Again in the newer paint scheme.

I saw 123 Thursday afternoon (4-5-18) on the Columbia Gorge line at Vancouver, WA . It was the trailing unit of what looked like a short, westbound local.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back