Railroad Stations old and new

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The Renton Rocket

Since the avent of CTC the town depot has been a part of american railroad that has been disapearing or move away from the right of way or replaced with "metal and glass" boxes. also if you find USGS marker on it post it up too

So everyone go out and take a picture of a vintage depot (if you can find one) weather its still used by the RR or not.

Here the first one

The NP style depot built in Tenino,WA out of stone, a local stone pit is near by, I belive the station was moved from across town from the Main line to the branch line that has since been torn up

by the way it does not need to be a NP depot its just lets see what old depots are still around!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackrabbit

Preserving "America's RR"
I belive the station was moved from across town from the Main line to the branch line that has since been torn up
That is correct. The original Prairie Line depot was made of wood and was torn down. This depot was built for the new main. It was given to the city and moved to its present location. I don't recall who paid for the move. If memory serves, the old Prairie Line depot was in a different location then where the stone depot now sits. Got to love that Tenino sandstone. It can also be seen used on structures as far away as Portland such as the Pittock Mansion.

Jackrabbit

I'll answer your "call to arms" as well. Here is my first, also of NP heritage. Now one a couple of depots to take the name Northern Pacific Railway Museum. The third photo (on display at the museum) shows the depot in its original pre-interstate 90 location after a runaway train had piled up around it.

It's all about the turret and the Monad baby.

Jackrabbit

Also residing in Idaho, now serving as office for the town RV park, the first of the two Potlatch depots shares its place of honor at the entrance to town with Washington, Idaho, & Montana Rly. Co. #1 which looks a lot like an early N.P. "P" or "S" Class ten wheeler.

Jackrabbit

Now if only those 14 trains ran between Snoqualmie and Preston; or Snoqualmie and Carnation. ;-) Dare to dream.

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
Don't forget through Issaquah and along lake Sammamish towards Redmond and Woodinville.

weekendrailroader

Guy with the green hat
Yeah, we'll just have to somehow remove the Sunset Valley Interchange to rebuild the Issaquah Trestle, plus the three trestles that were adjacent to Snoqualmie Falls, plus get the rights to occupy the old grade that was just converted to a bike trail...

Let's just say it might be easier to build the other direction and re-make the town of Tanner, WA.:rolleyes:

The Renton Rocket

I'll answer your "call to arms" as well. Here is my first, also of NP heritage. Now one a couple of depots to take the name Northern Pacific Railway Museum. The third photo (on display at the museum) shows the depot in its original pre-interstate 90 location after a runaway train had piled up around it.

It's all about the turret and the Monad baby.
this station and one other where built with brick slavaged from the "NORTHERN PACIFIC HOTEL" in Tacoma.

anyone care to guess what the building is called now?

GoalieFergy53

Last Train to Clarksville
this station and one other where built with brick slavaged from the "NORTHERN PACIFIC HOTEL" in Tacoma.

anyone care to guess what the building is called now?
Good ol' Stadium High School (also seen in the movie 10 Things I hate about you). Spent 4 years there and went to the Centennial celebration and the renovation is quite remarkable (though just not the same like it was when I went there!)

Abilene Ks Railfan

Here's the former Abilene Ks Rock Island depot, now being used by the Abilene and Smoky Valley RR as it's depot,and museum. It's on the National Regisrty of historic places

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
NP's Kent, WA depot

Here is another former Northern Pacific depot. This one is at Kent, WA along the BNSF's Seattle to Portland mainline. I have been all over Washington, Idaho and Montana photographing ex-NP depots and somehow I have managed to miss this one, and it is the closest one to home!

I did not see much as far as trains when I was out on the sunny cold January 1, 2011 but I did finally get photos of the Kent depot. I also like to get some detail shots when I photograph these depots. The Kent depot was built in 1929. Looking inside the windows I saw a lot of empty space. I have very little information about the use of this depot in NP years and later. If anyone knows more about the Kent depot and its purpose when active I would love to hear about it!

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

The Renton Rocket

Here is another former Northern Pacific depot. This one is at Kent, WA along the BNSF's Seattle to Portland mainline. I have been all over Washington, Idaho and Montana photographing ex-NP depots and somehow I have managed to miss this one, and it is the closest one to home!

I did not see much as far as trains when I was out on the sunny cold January 1, 2011 but I did finally get photos of the Kent depot. I also like to get some detail shots when I photograph these depots. The Kent depot was built in 1929. Looking inside the windows I saw a lot of empty space. I have very little information about the use of this depot in NP years and later. If anyone knows more about the Kent depot and its purpose when active I would love to hear about it!

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA
it allways a "i know its there i'll get a picture of it later" then poof its been torn down then you kick your self for not takeing at lest 1 shot

Jackrabbit

Potlatch's other depot (Not sure why they have two in such close proximity) is used as a bus stop and visitors center. Once a year during the rail speeder run it does serve as a station. Notice its little friend in picture 2. You think the NP might have been the WI&M's parent company?

Jackrabbit

Moving west we find a nicely refurbed NP Class "B" depot in Sprague. Notice the detailing, very victorian. You can almost imagine the wagons loading freight at the dock or off-loading bags of wheat.

Sprague is a great place to see other pieces of history: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46110423

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackrabbit

Just an hour or so beyond Sprague, this clock tower is all that's left of one of Spokane's grand stations. The GN station and its yard resided in what is now Waterfront Park.

Kevin M

Potlatch's other depot (Not sure why they have two in such close proximity) is used as a bus stop and visitors center. Once a year during the rail speeder run it does serve as a station. Notice its little friend in picture 2. You think the NP might have been the WI&M's parent company?
Off the top of my head I can say the WI&M was never owned by the NP. I have a great book on the line but I can not find it at the moment. I think it was originaly built by Potlach and was closely afiliated with the MILW Road unitl they bought it in the early 60's. When the MILW went belly up the BN bought it and BNSF later sold it. About half of the line is still in service.
KEvin

Jackrabbit

OK, let's continue with a couple from Wisconsin I saw while working for the Air Force there.

I don't know if it is REALLY old vs. new, but the depot at the Mid-Continent RR Museum sure looks old. These photos were taken as the 2008 flood waters were just receding, therefore the museum and depot were closed. They were definitely banging away at something in the shops.

The second is the old depot in Elroy (my grandfather's name, so we had to explore it). The passenger depot is now shop for the popular and extensive rail-trail that runs through there. I forget what the freight depot had been converted to. The large man (6'6") exiting the building is the Paramedic/RN that I had the pleasure of deploying 5 times with. He was nice enough to come along with me on this sidetrip while we were heading to pick up a fellow Observer/Controller at the airport. His grandfather it turns out worked for the Santa Fe shops. By the way, he is the smallest in his family and was often teesed about being so short. I guess it's all about perspective.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)