Railroad Songs

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Midnight Special.

No train video, but it is my favorite version of this song. The song originated from a legend that the inmate of the cell where the nightly train shone its light as it passed by the prison would be the next guy to be released.

CCR

Leadbelly

Last edited:
Well, it's pretty dang obscure, but I have to say it's my favorite railroad song. After all, it's written about me and my wife, and based on a true story. We ran a dinner train during the same storm that sunk the Lake Washington floating bridge and it involved me walking the train through some flooded areas and finally reaching a washout at Mineral we couldn't get past, but by then we were by a road and could evacuate the passengers.

Last edited:
Paddy on the Railway. And how do I post the YouTube video here? I am old you know.

Posting a YouTube video is as simple as can be!
Click the "Share" button on the video on Youtube.
A link pops up, with a "copy" button.
Click "copy" to copy the link.
Paste the link in your message, the forum does the rest, formatting and embedding it for you.

Last edited:
I wrote a 3rd verse to this song, it goes like this.

I woke up to a whistle, I seen a cloud of smoke,
Shook off the morning dew an found my boots, grabbed my hat and poke.
The train come to an easy stop, I heard an ol man shout,
Looked back behind me at the boxcar door, a helping hand come out.
yodel...…..

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back