Railroad Right of way size.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Allen

Need some help on Railroad ROW size. I'm researching a property near South Fork Colorado which has a D&RGW RR ROW listed. The Federal document is C 093991 dated 5-12-1885. Another document C 42126 Dated 1-8-1988 indicates an exclusion. A BLM map has 100' beside the document number. I presume this means the width of the ROW however don't know whether it means 50' on either side or 100' on either side.
I would like to obtain a copy of the original document but not sure where to get it although I have sent an email to the BLM map section for help.
Can any one enlighten me and/or a source for the documents.
Also any help on the nature of RR ROW and how they differ from normal ROW's would be helpful.
TIA
Allen

I have read that the Colorado Railroad Museum has the D&RGW valuation maps, which would show the right of way.

They have a research service, in case you can't visit.

http://coloradorailroadmuseum.org/library/access/

Research Assistance
The Library also has a dedicated group of volunteers who are happy to offer research assistance. Even if you are not able to visit the collections in person, our volunteers and staff can perform research on your behalf and contact you with the results. Simple questions can be answered for free; extensive research questions taking more than a half-hour of volunteer or staff research time may be subject to our fee schedule ($40 per hour). Copies or scans of information found may be sent, when the condition of the original permits; mailed documents are subject to a per-page copy fee plus postage. In-house scans for personal use are $5 plus costs for the CD and postage, if applicable.

Bruce

In the future you might try the local tax assessor's office. Tax agencies almost always have maps that show the various parcels of land in their jurisdiction. Most of the time they are drawn to scale, so even if measurements aren't provided they can be taken off the drawings.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back