Railfanning Chicago Race Track...

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

clive

It looks like i have a challenge on my hands here in regards to B&Bs and a chaperone...will have to decide whether i go to Chicago and risk being on my own or going to Folkston GA to railfan as i have friends there.
I wanted to recapture some of the scenes that the great Emery Gulash made in the sixties along this route...

I think it mostly depends on which areas in Chicago you go to in order to railfan the BNSF Racetrack. I think Downers Grove, an area in Chicago, will be a safe place to film. It's one of the nicer areas in Chicago, so you should be okay there. Then again, Folkston, GA is a good railfanning place, too.

The Racetrack...

I think it mostly depends on which areas in Chicago you go to in order to railfan the BNSF Racetrack. I think Downers Grove, an area in Chicago, will be a safe place to film. It's one of the nicer areas in Chicago, so you should be okay there. Then again, Folkston, GA is a good railfanning place, too.

Thanks for your help but i was really looking at spending some serious trackside time in Chicago in particular the Racetrack for my production.

I lived in Naperville, the next stop east of Downers Grove, from 1987-91. It is a very nice town. East of the depot is a hill with a curve or two where you should be able to get some good shots.

I lived in Naperville, the next stop east of Downers Grove, from 1987-91. It is a very nice town. East of the depot is a hill with a curve or two where you should be able to get some good shots.

Hi Bill, Thank you that sounds brilliant the late Emery Gulash took some footage from there in the sixties I'm trying to cover his footsteps in a brand new video production i am working on.....do you live in local to the area?

Naperville is actually three stops west of Downers Grove Main Street. You must not have taken the train when you lived there.

Thanks for catching my mistake. I realized it after I had shut off the computer and was in bed for the night. I did ride the train into Chicago a few times when I lived there.

Clive: I no longer live in Chicagoland, having moved out to the Seattle area in 1991.

Thanks for catching my mistake. I realized it after I had shut off the computer and was in bed for the night. I did ride the train into Chicago a few times when I lived there.

Clive: I no longer live in Chicagoland, having moved out to the Seattle area in 1991.

Thats OK no problem thanks for the info though.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back