Railfanning Around Northern California

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

mkstarks

Figured it'd be time to stop scattering all my outings across multiple threads (so at the old age of 28, I can remember what I've already posted.) :p

UP 7118 heads east through the canyon with the OWWCJ13.

20140114-MKS12-39.jpg

UP 1620 idles in Portola's bustling yard...

20140114-MKS12-69.jpg

UP 6962 leads the GSGAPX 12 heading west.

20140115-MKS12-2.jpg

20140115-MKS12-15.jpg

BNSF's B-OIGTAC 14A had a special sandwich ready for us as it arrived at Keddie on it's journey north.

20140115-MKS12-58.jpg

20140115-MKS12-65.jpg

Some great shots there. I wish FRC was just a tad closer to me. It's an all day thing for me to get up there and back and I have been skunked before :rolleyes:

But the rewards are shots like these when there is traffic. Keep them coming!

Just gotta make friends with someone who can pull the lineup for ya ;) All in all, it is my favorite location to railfan even coming from San Diego where we had just a short drive up to Cajon if we wanted.

Thanks Brad!

As the first raindrops fall in Northern California in what feels like an eternity (53 days), California Northern genset #503 and it's crew work towards Maxwell, Ca.

20140129-MKS13-81.jpg

I caught the same train outside Maxwell last week, but not from as good of a spot as this shot. Very nice. I believe the "Corning Flyer" does the run M-W-F, with the north and south trains meeting at Maxwell and swapping engines, so for the crews it's an out and back.

Thanks. Indeed, they do run MWF, left Davis around 0820 and began the journey for Corning. We chased them out just shy of Arbuckle, and then came back to West Sac looking for Sierra Northern, and then returned to Woodland to catch the daily CFNR Davis job.

Location for the shot posted above: 38.929089,-121.998644 (http://goo.gl/maps/VE98R).

Another photo spot, just down the road from the one posted above is this neat little cut that rises above the tracks to give you some good elevation. 38.970614,-122.025796 (http://goo.gl/maps/AQ4hx).

20140129-MKS13-94.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys!

A northbound UP train streaks through the night at Brighton in Sacramento.

20140212-MKS14-23.jpg

Northbound ZLTG2.

20140212-MKS14-42.jpg

UP 6853 is eastbound descending Donner Pass yesterday as the crew prepares to enter Horseshoe Curve at MP 201.

20140219-MKS15-132.jpg

Thanks Ed, here's a few more.

Eastbound empty grainer.

20140219-MKS15-96.jpg

The westbound ZSPLT (brand new high priority Z) with all 5 units online for a total of 50 axles.

20140219-MKS15-129.jpg

Thanks Brad.

UP 6722 is the DPU on an eastbound empty grainer as it shoves its way over the Sierra Nevadas.

20140219-MKS15-74.jpg

Good shots. I used to hike up to the summit of Donner Pass to get shots of westbounds emerging from the snow sheds when I lived in Sacramento back in the 70's.

Great work!! I love the night time, time-lapse. Gorgeous photos. I got a kick out of your last picture with the "guy" spray painted on the grain hopped around the UP logo.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back