Railfanning Around Northern California

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Nice shot. Was the Siskiyou Summit tunnel ever reopened and rail service restored between Weed and Medford, OR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Yreka Western still in operation?

As far as I know, it unfortunately is not at this present time.

Monday was day one of a two day adventure (CORP shot was day 2). We made our way through my home turf of the FRC, unfortunately the previous days rain had triggered many minor slides that needed to be cleaned up and traffic was at a hault. After discovering that there was nothing running, we jumped on CA 89 and headed for Truckee.

UP 5293 leads a Z train over the summit and out of the big hole as the last light sets on the day. The cold and wet stuff on the ground I am told is called snow, I think I remember it from my childhood but I'm not sure since it's been so long since CA has seen any of it. :cool:

20151116-MKS-IMG_4950.jpg

Is that Sugar Bowl in the background? I used to ski there in the mid 70's when I lived in Sacramento. The parking lot was on the old highway and you rode a chairlift over the two mainline tracks to the lodge. I always hoped a train would pass under me while I was on the lift. The original line that ran through the snow sheds alongside the cliff was still used as the westbound main.

What's the status of the California Northern, up to Willits? Seems like they were having a hard time getting the line open that far north. I think they've given up going any further north--too many major washouts.
Does the line still operate out of Ft. Bragg on the coast?

What's the status of the California Northern, up to Willits? Seems like they were having a hard time getting the line open that far north. I think they've given up going any further north--too many major washouts.

As far as I know, they have put that project off as there just isn't enough business to sustain the operations and upkeep if they were to open it.

Does the line still operate out of Ft. Bragg on the coast?

If you're referring to the Skunk Train, unfortunately there's been some damage to the line and operations are currently suspended.

UP 6612 leads the MRORVW 22 westbound at Emigrant Gap yesterday as I-80 is completely devoid of vehicles as the snow begins to fall again.

20151124-MKS-IMG_5322.jpg

UP 7238 leads the westbound AGBMI 21 as it works its way over the pass.

20151124-MKS-IMG_5344.jpg

Beautiful snow pics. Looks like it might have been a strenuous climb for both you and the train. What time of day were you there? TZ

We were up on the hill all day, those two shots were taken between 2-330pm. There's a certain serenity in being up there and all you hear before the train is silence.

Amtrak's California Zephyr is eastbound as it comes into Benicia, CA from Martinez.

20151124-MKS-IMG_5282.jpg

A westbound Capitol train heads past the C and H Sugar Cane plant at Crockett, CA.

20151123-MKS-IMG_5189.jpg

Operating with UP power, California Northern's Suisun local heads west.

20151123-MKS-IMG_5233.jpg

Thanks Brad!

My friends and I have continued our snowbound shenanigans, with 4 storms lined up, a weekend on Donner was required.

UP 602 is westbound with a flanger yesterday as it passes through Yuba Gap on Donner Pass. Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays to all.

20151220-MKS-IMG_5530.jpg

You guys are brave to go up to Donner during a storm. I recall from my days of skiing Sugar Bowl back in the 70's that no one in California has snow tires or knows how to drive in the snow. Maybe things are different now that FWD vehicles are popular.

Has the Roseville rotary made an appearance yet?

Thanks guys!

No, no appearance by the rotary in years. They have yet to run the spreaders in continuous service yet.

Amtrak's California Zephyr heads westbound.

20151219-MKS-IMG_5380.jpg

The AGBMI actually ran in front of the flanger set, 4 units (3x1) and 8200' of racks in the snow. The DS had the common sense to treat this as the hottest train on the railroad and not stop them even commenting that there's no way he was gonna let this monster get a hose on the hill in these conditions.

20151220-MKS-IMG_5512.jpg

Last light of the day as UP 8849 leads the MRVNP.

20151219-MKS-IMG_5444.jpg

I sure do miss the snow. Due to an upcoming photo shoot, I hope we don't get any, but normally I love a good fresh snowfally. With El Nino this year, we just keep getting more and more rain.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back