Railfan Harassment

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GE Power

I see the Axxhole troll who started this thread and keeps feeding it hasn't given up his fun yet. Thankfully this site has become basically moribund and no one much reads it. What a blight on railfans.

andrewjonathon

by the letter of the law if the person doing the flipping off is in a motor vehicle on a public higway when they flip the bird, that is considered road range and they can be arrested.

I certainly hope our law enforcement has better things to do than arresting someone who flipped the bird. In all honesty if a train has blocked a crossing for 26 minutes I think you'd find a few officers flipping it off themselves. Its an awfully long time to completely block a crossing.

MCtrlSys

The observation was not to say that it’s o.k. to flip off the customers or people at random as a train passes through town. It’s the irony of railfans who on one hand defend their right to free speech (photography) yet would take action to restrict someone else’s because they don't like the message.

Why sent the picture to the railroad and prove to the crews that railfans are something to scorn? Think that guy will give anyone the line up now or hand off timetables? Show the picture to your friends and get a laugh out of it.

I hear ya, I hope that it didn't sound like I was accusing anyone of anything, just noting that I find it better to just let it slide. Unless of course you were responding to someone else. In which case ignore what I just said. Heh. Just covering my bases. Always best to treat everyone with respect, even if they may not be so friendly.

Just a suggestion to everyone. While it may seem kinda hokey, sometimes it is good to use emoticons when stating something that has any possibility of being mis-interpreted. When I worked support for Apple Inc they made us use emoticons so that the emotion behind something or the intent was understood. I find that no matter how childish it looks, it does work. When you cant see the body language or facial expression it makes all of the dirfference. Last thing I would want to do is being mis-interpreted by a board that I have bou kou respect for.

MCtrlSys

I see the Axxhole troll who started this thread and keeps feeding it hasn't given up his fun yet. Thankfully this site has become basically moribund and no one much reads it. What a blight on railfans.

I think we need to abandon that particular subject. No benefit in pursuing it any longer. Especially if it was trolling. As for the state of the site, if that is the case maybe it is time to push things back into order. I really hate to see non-obsessed railfans. I almost went away from the hobby there for a while when the DHS first pulled the whole "Evil Terrorists are coming! Hide your trains!"" when we all know what a load that was. At this point I refuse to let it phase me.

Also I would like to ask whoever stated the message about timetables. Are engineers allowed to give those away or is it something that they do on the QT? I never had one give me a timetable. I got a reverser key once but never a timetable. Now that Altamont Press is gone I could really use some timetables for my area.

RCH

Been Nothin' Since Frisco
I certainly hope our law enforcement has better things to do than arresting someone who flipped the bird. In all honesty if a train has blocked a crossing for 26 minutes I think you'd find a few officers flipping it off themselves. Its an awfully long time to completely block a crossing.

It was exactly as long as it took to set out cars from the head end into the track I had available to me and to recouple to my train and perform the proper air tests that are required to be in compliance with the rules. Not a minute more or less. In fact, the dispatcher figured on 45 minutes and was surprised to hear we were done so quickly.

Furthermore, within two miles there was an underpass as well as another crossing that I did not block less than a mile away. This crossing provides access to the same locations as the one I blocked. Those motorists who chose not to use it must have done so out of boredom, ignorance of the other crossing and underpass, or by some reckoning that it would take them longer to use the other crossing or underpass than to simply wait.

Trust me on this, I don't just block crossings for fun. The setout was the quick part. Pumping up the train air to the required pressure, making the required set then releasing the air takes the majority of that time. It looks like I'm doing nothing, but without doing it I risk losing my job, nevermind the danger that could result from pulling on a train with hazmat loads and finding out two miles later I have no brakes, not even the ability to put the train into emergency. Finger or no, I'm doing the air test.

The one finger wave is common during setouts and pickups, even if the motorist only has to wait a couple minutes, such as when they pull up when we're about done. I don't like waiting for trains at crossings, either. That's why when I don't have the time to wait at a crossing I plan my route to avoid crossings. I understand how they feel. But I don't go to their place of work and expect them to break rules that could get them fired and endanger the public because I'm in a hurry. And I would never say, imply or gesture something so offensive because I was too impatient to allow them to do their job.

MCtrlSys

Well guys, I think I am going to abandon this thread for the time being. I have gotten more information than I dreamed of from everyone. Since Trains Mag thought the article wasn't worth the time I will try R&R and if not them, then I will just get angsty and design a mag myself. I want to thank you all for the info. It was really worth the time and effort to get. I will save all of the comments for another time when it is more acceptable. Sorry you didnt get to see your opinion in Trains but you know how editors are. I think I will ask around in another part of the forum for opinions on what they all would like to see. Thanks again guys.

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
The observation was not to say that it’s o.k. to flip off the customers or people at random as a train passes through town. It’s the irony of railfans who on one hand defend their right to free speech (photography) yet would take action to restrict someone else’s because they don't like the message.
So, by your logic, then if you're a passenger on an Amtrak train, the crew can say anything they want to you and that's okay because they're expressing themsevles? Keep in mind, the person who took the offending photo and sent it to Claytor had just come to that area by Amtrak train.
I've said it before, NONE of you would tolerate that from someone at a McDonald's drive-through, concessions stand at a movie theater or any other business. You wouldn't be fine with it if the person getting you on an airliner flipped you off just by you standing in line.
I expect professionalism from RR employees, as I do from all people on the job (and as others expect of me when I'm working). I don't bug them and I expect the same in return. If I do something to be reported by them, I have nobody but myself to blame when they call it in. The opposite is true as well.
If I was able to not flip people off after not sleeping for days at a time (and dealing with massive stress in running a unit) in the military and being in a convoy on public highways afterward on the way back to the post, then RR employees have zero excuse for just being in a crummy mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)