Pure Santa Fe

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I just LOVE your photos - Setxrailfan !!
I feel so fortunate and blessed that I was able to
see the REAL Santa Fe Railway in the mid 1980s in
Tehacapi and Southern California.
Thank you so very--very--very much from the bottom of my heart
for bringing back those magical memories !!
---- Daniel

I never got to spend much time on the main lines of the Santa Fe so it is really cool to see the pure ATSF power on the big freights. Great shots and nice scans from the prints or negs. Thanks. TZ

Thanks guys. They are scans of the negatives.

This is no main line by any means. It's the ATSF Longview Sub between Silsbee and Longview, TX. It only carried 4 locals daily and a unit rock train every now and then. They maximum track speed was 49mph. Almost all the customers on this line had #4 turnouts so 4-axle power was abundant on the locals.

Right after the BNSF merger we started getting a H-SSBMEM (Silsbee, TX-Memphis, TN), and a M-LGVSSB (Longview, TX-Silsbee, TX) hot shot that ran daily. Those trains are no more as about 80% of the Longview Sub is now leased to Watco's Timber Rock Railroad. They have actually increased business. Resulting in more trains and more cars at the various industries along this route.

Cool Images!! How in the world did 3446 wind up with two sets of headlights? The best of both worlds? Neat to see some images of the real Santa Fe in East TX. Being from CA, I was pretty occupied with the Santa Fe in its prime there, but visiting TX in recent times has really increased my fascination with the Santa Fe as well as other roads of the past in the Lone Star State.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back