PSA: I-5 Skagit River Bridge Has Collapsed

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bill Anderson

The I-5 bridge over the Skagit River at Mt. Vernon, WA has collapsed. No reported fatalities as of Thursday night.
http://news.yahoo.com/no-fatalities-5-bridge-collapse-nw-wash-045838024.html

Anyone who had planned on railfanning the BNSF line between Mt. Vernon, WA and Vancouver, BC over Memorial Day weekend might want to change his/her plans. The surface roads are going to be a mess trying to handle the estimated 70,000+ vehicles/day which use that section of I-5.

Last edited by a moderator:

redlynx

Maybe the state/Amtrak/BNSF should look at adding that Talgo reported over Stevens yesterday as a temporary extra train between SEattle and BC until that bridge can be repaired.... Nah, too practical. (Then move it to Stampede as a test between Seattle and Tri-Cities)

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
Here, here for more passenger operations. Amtrak should jump at the chance to market a temporary third round trip train!! They'll make a killing. I just check the traffic cams for the back up in Mt. Vernon and it goes on for miles and miles!!!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)