Portland Vancouver Jct Railway

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

n.p.-dad

Portland Vancouver Jct. Ry. is now working on laying new 115 lb rail in the Rye yard and north out of Rye to the new sand spur of n.e 62 ave...They are building new switches for install in the Rye yard this week...
Here are a couple of Pictures of the work crew and trains..

G.D.

auburnrails

Very cool to see them having some success down there. I was with them for a while and I remember when we got that silica sand business. We set it up in Rye Yard first, then we acquired the 3 acre parcel up off of 62nd that they have since started using for this business. I'm assuming the Temple's still own the property. I believe the sand still comes from up north of Spokane.

From looking at Google Earth it looks like Anderson Plastics (is that the name?) is still humming along up at Battle Ground. There also appears to be a customer out in Brush Prairie getting something (probably plastic pellets but not sure). And it looks like Omega is still doing the prefab track stuff at Rye. I know BOC Gases used them a bit but not sure how much traffic is still moving that way, if any at all.

My memory is starting to fade but while it clearly hasn't been as successful as they had hoped going into it, they at least have been able to get some extra traffic moving.

-Dave

auburnrails

I guess I should ask if anyone has any more info on their current ops? Looking at the pics it looks like some not-plastic pellets covered hoppers. I remember us talking to a guy transloading flour in Vancouver - maybe he moved over? There was also talk with some customers across the river but where that ended up I'm not sure.

-Dave

n.p.-dad

I guess I should ask if anyone has any more info on their current ops? Looking at the pics it looks like some not-plastic pellets covered hoppers. I remember us talking to a guy transloading flour in Vancouver - maybe he moved over? There was also talk with some customers across the river but where that ended up I'm not sure.

-Dave
They do have a much large customer base than they used to have...I'll try to list them here...
They still have the Anderson plastic business in battle ground...they also have central dry wall who still ships a few cars a year to battle ground...at Brush prairie, Anderson plastics has set up another plastic bottle facility, so now there are two....at the new sand spur near Barberton, at the foot of 62nd ave, is another customer...this is the trans load facility, but this is not owned by the railroad...they transfer anything you want...right now the two big customers are for glass sand, and roofing sand for shingles, both different customers and type of car...the glass sand comes in the brown BNSF two bay hoppers, they have also trans-loaded soy product there...then there is Rye yard, BOC gasses still ships but only when demand is high, so usually in the summer, and they haven't had a car for about four months, then Omega industries with track panels, and there is state pipe at the far west end of the yard, they are down to only one or two cars a year now, basically only special size pipe, and yes there is a another trans load there at Rye, and they do trans load Flour from air blown hoppers...and lets not forget BPA down at Ross...I think they ship once a year or so, this is usually for large substation transformers and parts...
That is about it for customers... They still are trying to get a propane customer out to brush prairie, but I am not sure how this is going...
they run about three days a week... generally Monday Wednesday and Friday, but you know how schedules work...on duty in the AM, and usually done by 3 in the afternoon...Hope this helps...
Gary D.

auburnrails

Good info, Gary. Thanks!

Anderson was always the steady - if not the only - customer, so glad to hear that they are getting even more business from them.

Central Drywall was at one time a decent shipper for the Lewis & Clark RR (iirc) but had swtiched to receiving most of their product by truck from somewhere across the river by I believe St. Helens. Interesting that they are getting something there again.

The siding at Brush Prairie is next to a business that was open to letting trucks use his property for a turn-around for a transload type operation, but nothing ever came of that at the time. I believe the bigger hope there was going to be an asphalt plant that for whatever reason never came to fruition. I know the locals were against it so that might have killed it.

The transload operator at 62nd is a great customer to have I'm sure. They can help facilitate a lot of different types of business, as you say. At the time we (they) acquired the property, the thought was to be able to build into it as needed with several spurs for transloading, but just having the one dead-end siding is a great thing. Neat little operation they have there.

The sand should be a good, steady business for them as well. I remember dealing with the guy at (I believe) Lane Mountain and he was decent to work with. The guys doing the actual truck hauling (family run business iirc) were also good people.

The flour is intriguing. I wonder if that was the people I spoke to at one time. They had been looking at something up near Tacoma and I'd suggested the Meeker Southern to them - not sure what came of that, if anything.

We talked to a guy over in Portland about transloading of Soy Bean Oil (not sure if that's what you are referring to) but the main issue was Washington's B&O taxes.

I liked the guys at Omega - old-school business people. The track panels they build were I think for BNSF.

There was a propane guy (I can remember his name to this day) who was interested in setting up a propane site but in the actual meeting he had apparently miscalculated and instead of needing 200 cars a year or even 20 cars a year it was actually going to be like 2-4 cars. That made for a short meeting.

There were other ideas and leads as well, but at the end of the day you are also reliant on the BNSF, and for my brief time being involved in some of that stuff I learned that there is a lot going on behind the scenes - and much of it personality driven - that it isn't as easy as picking up the phone and attracting business. There was a whole pyramid of people with different ideas, agendas, and grudges, and any one of them could muck up the works if they wanted to.

Anyhow, glad to see the line doing well. It'd make a great basis for a model railroad too.

-Dave

They do have a much large customer base than they used to have...I'll try to list them here...
They still have the Anderson plastic business in battle ground...they also have central dry wall who still ships a few cars a year to battle ground...at Brush prairie, Anderson plastics has set up another plastic bottle facility, so now there are two....at the new sand spur near Barberton, at the foot of 62nd ave, is another customer...this is the trans load facility, but this is not owned by the railroad...they transfer anything you want...right now the two big customers are for glass sand, and roofing sand for shingles, both different customers and type of car...the glass sand comes in the brown BNSF two bay hoppers, they have also trans-loaded soy product there...then there is Rye yard, BOC gasses still ships but only when demand is high, so usually in the summer, and they haven't had a car for about four months, then Omega industries with track panels, and there is state pipe at the far west end of the yard, they are down to only one or two cars a year now, basically only special size pipe, and yes there is a another trans load there at Rye, and they do trans load Flour from air blown hoppers...and lets not forget BPA down at Ross...I think they ship once a year or so, this is usually for large substation transformers and parts...
That is about it for customers... They still are trying to get a propane customer out to brush prairie, but I am not sure how this is going...
they run about three days a week... generally Monday Wednesday and Friday, but you know how schedules work...on duty in the AM, and usually done by 3 in the afternoon...Hope this helps...
Gary D.

auburnrails

Oh, and I do remember the shingle sand for CertainTeed down in Portland. I think it came from back east somewhere. We didn't have that business when I was there but maybe it made it's way over. The one other business I was interested in pursuing but that never seemed to go anywhere at the time was clay from Georgia used by a paper making company south of the river. Blue Heron I believe. I would have liked to see that be something we could have grabbed as a transload operation as well.

In the end, it's a lot easier to have a model railroad - those things happen much more quickly and successfully! :)

-Dave

SP&SFan

MP 72 - BNSF Spokane Sub.
Blue Heron Paper in Oregon City..

Oh, and I do remember the shingle sand for CertainTeed down in Portland. I think it came from back east somewhere. We didn't have that business when I was there but maybe it made it's way over. The one other business I was interested in pursuing but that never seemed to go anywhere at the time was clay from Georgia used by a paper making company south of the river. Blue Heron I believe. I would have liked to see that be something we could have grabbed as a transload operation as well.

In the end, it's a lot easier to have a model railroad - those things happen much more quickly and successfully! :)

-Dave
Dave,

Blue Heron Paper in Oregon City closed last year and they were auctioning off the property and assets earlier this year.. :mad:

SP&SFan

auburnrails

Well, glad I didn't spend too much time chasing that business down. :-O

To bad that these companies can't make it. The railroad's need them and so does the workforce.

-Dave

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)