Out and about in KCMO area

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
New residence, new thread. I recently moved to the Kansas side of KC in the fall and am quickly learning that it's a hoppin' place in and around me here. I'm already scouting out good spots to watch traffic and will probably dump my photos in this new thread.

A gorgeous January day without a cloud in the sky is the best opportunity to beat cabin fever before the cold settles in again for this weekend (highs in the 20s). Of course, with the sun so far in the southern sky it makes finding spots to shoot a little more difficult as any E-W tracks around here have mostly good shooting spots from the north and backlit photos aren't my thing. With this in mind I went down to the old Lenexa Depot along the BNSF Fort Scott sub. UP runs a few through here as it's somewhat of a joint line before the lines split further south at Paola, KS. I pull up and see the local led by a GP-50 sitting at the office here. Picture perfect day. Hopefully it remains quiet as I go into work tonight. Still trying to learn a bit on the editing (and overall shooting) side of things, so I'd gladly take any feedback. Thanks!

24273836732_48d1f22750_c.jpgBNSF 3160 by Nathan Jurgensen, on Flickr

23755245373_9dc6770d7a_c.jpgBNSF 3160 by Nathan Jurgensen, on Flickr

I have often seen models of the old Western Auto sign and building appearing in model railroad layouts. Can you get some creative shots of the building with trains in the foreground?

I have often seen models of the old Western Auto sign and building appearing in model railroad layouts. Can you get some creative shots of the building with trains in the foreground?

That building is easily shootable!
IMG_7516.jpg

That building is easily shootable!

Thought I had seen a shot of yours from that area, Brad! Yes, I plan on heading there sometime Bill! They just started a new project on Union Station though so I'm unsure of what the area will look like with construction around. Detail of that can be found here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article54009825.html .

Also, KC is bringing street cars back! They've got the tracks in place around downtown, I think the biggest thing they're finishing up on now is stations and overhead lines. Sounds like a late summer debut for this. Details here: http://www.kcata.org/light_rail_max/kansas_ctiy_streetcar .

Lots of fun around here! My next stop will hopefully be the old UP Depot in Lawrence near the "Kansas Curve."

Thanks for the Western Auto photo. There is an area in KC called "The Bottoms" that also shows up in model railroad layouts.

Nice photos. I have some other places listed around the area on my website. kcrailfan.com

I stumbled upon that website shortly after moving here. It's a great source of info and I appreciate the work you put into it! Is that small bridge just off SW Boulevard still a good viewing spot for Sante Fe Junction?

Thanks for the Western Auto photo. There is an area in KC called "The Bottoms" that also shows up in model railroad layouts.

Yes! Just west of DT KCMO. Been down there once or twice just passing through. May wait until the weather warms up and daylight lasts longer before venturing there...

Do you have a friend with a vintage car who can park it by the station? Then try to frame a photo of the car + station so the radio antenna is not visible.

Nice looking photo Nathan!

If you haven't already done so, you should look up Zach Pumphery, Jeff Carlson, Dalton McAdams, "Righteous" Grant G. on Flickr, they are always railfanning down your way.

Do you have a friend with a vintage car who can park it by the station? Then try to frame a photo of the car + station so the radio antenna is not visible.

I unfortunately do not know anyone with a vintage car. I didn't even think about the radio antenna while shooting or post-processing but now I see why I should've excluded it. I also tried the B&W because I thought the big blue garbage dumpster next to the old depot as well as the church on the left side in the background were distracting.

Nice looking photo Nathan!

If you haven't already done so, you should look up Zach Pumphery, Jeff Carlson, Dalton McAdams, "Righteous" Grant G. on Flickr, they are always railfanning down your way.

I did exactly that and see that they're great photogs! A few followed me back. Hope to maybe run into one or more sometime. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hey all.

Figured I'd start consolidating my posts to weekly (maybe monthly) updates depending on how much I'm able to get out.

Had a day off of work and it was a generally nice day so I headout out towards Lawrence to check out the "Kansas Curve" along UP's Kansas Sub. Lighting isn't favorable in the late winter but I plan on returning sometime this summer with a better sun angle. Busy spot with 2 hours leading to 5 trains including one local. While it doesn't exactly sound like a parade, they had some MOW bogging down one of the mains and based off of recent traffic trends......I was content. Also scouted out some additional spots between here and there for future reference.
24801840390_bee21a7711_c.jpgApproaching the Curve by Nathan Jurgensen, on Flickr

Another nice day in late February. Went exploring a local park here in Lenexa that sat next to the Emporia Sub. Was not expecting this many trees but it still wasn't too bad. Was just nice to get out and enjoy some fresh air. Also saw some "wildlife" in the lake there, but I'll spare you those shot here on the forum.
24859898969_c1d06cb3f6_c.jpg...and through the woods... by Nathan Jurgensen, on Flickr

Until next time!

Those shots are good, I like them. Is the park fenced? Because in the summer the trees will obscure the tracks. If you could get to the tree line you could sit in the shade with a cool beverage and watch the trains go by all day.

Also saw some "wildlife" in the lake there, but I'll spare you those shot here on the forum.

Assuming you are talking about birds or animals and not a kegger by local high school or college students (I assume the lake is still too cold for that), I don't mind occasional photos of wildlife included in train shots. All trains tend to look alike throughout the US, so photos that include scenery and local wildlife give me a better idea of what an area looks like.

Those shots are good, I like them. Is the park fenced? Because in the summer the trees will obscure the tracks. If you could get to the tree line you could sit in the shade with a cool beverage and watch the trains go by all day.

Not fenced! I like that idea. Just a bit overgrown with vegetation, but I can handle it!

Assuming you are talking about birds or animals and not a kegger by local high school or college students (I assume the lake is still too cold for that), I don't mind occasional photos of wildlife included in train shots. All trains tend to look alike throughout the US, so photos that include scenery and local wildlife give me a better idea of what an area looks like.

I've gone back to posting all** of my photos on Flickr.

*Deemed worthy

25134383201_d97b751092_c.jpgNathan Jurgensen

It gives me a reason to get out with my camera. I love this hobby, particularly train and weather shots!

Monthly Update:

My April schedule is a bit crazy right now with 3/6 fellow meteorologists at my place of employment away from work for the next week or two, leaving only three of us to cover a 24-hour operation. Needless to say, I won't make it out too often through the end of the month. Just a couple shots to share.

24609023094_f44bd8090c_c.jpgSlow Order Shuffle by Nathan Jurgensen

Nearby work on a major freeway junction between Olathe and Lenexa had a slow-order in place on the Fort Scott Sub. I caught this guy on approach through Olde Towne Lenexa at ~20 mph. Just barely enough time to snap the shot though having needed to attach lens to camera first.
=====================================================================================================================================

25048060529_b26c79b222_c.jpgBN 3443 by Nathan Jurgensen

An old switcher sits on the siding (can't recall the name) along the Fort Scott Sub in north Olathe adjacent to I-35. In hindsight, I wish I had opened the shutter a bit longer to allow for car blur in the background.
=======================================================================================================================================

25823362564_e085975037_c.jpgUP 7362 by Nathan Jurgensen

Having heard an unpatched SP unit was leading an eastbound stack, I attempted to give chase but was a little late to the party (saw it while en route to planned set-up spot). I figured I'd better stay and catch the next train to not have wasted the trip. Site has a nice slow curve when looking west but lighting is less than favorable except for early morning. I have the same spot bookmarked for an afternoon shot of a westbound with plenty of foliage to accompany any action.
=======================================================================================================================================

Until next time!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back