Original WarBonnet in Seattle

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

hiball

BNSF 677 is parked by Boeing field right along airport way in full Santa Fe WarBonnet paint scheme.

Unique consist as well with the UP 6532 and UP 7013 2nd and 3rd out, respectively.

The UP 7013 is a AC4460CW, originally 6000 hp.

It should be headed north to BC sometime soon.

how many original wide cab warbonnets in Red and Silver are left? I saw 614 in near full warbonnet (Santa Fe large on sides, BNSF on the nose and under the windows) in Cumberland, Maryland in early November, 2014. ?

how many original wide cab warbonnets in Red and Silver are left? I saw 614 in near full warbonnet (Santa Fe large on sides, BNSF on the nose and under the windows) in Cumberland, Maryland in early November, 2014. ?

I guess it depends on what you call "full warbonnet." If you look through my MP 17 and MP 18 threads in the Western US forum, you will see lots of red & sliver units.

Question to OP: What do you call a "full warbonnet?" Is it a red & silver unit with its original numbering and lettering in Santa Fe (not BNSF) with no BNSF "patching" and/or renumbering?

Little off topic, but somewhat related... I remember when I was a kid, I had an HO Scale ATSF Red and Silver GP9 (or something like a GP9). Did that ever exist or was that paint scheme only in the model railroad world?

Little off topic, but somewhat related... I remember when I was a kid, I had an HO Scale ATSF Red and Silver GP9 (or something like a GP9). Did that ever exist or was that paint scheme only in the model railroad world?

Modeler's license. As far as I know, the first true freight units to be painted in the red & silver war bonnet scheme were the wide cab GP60 and GP60B units of the late 80's-early 90's.

After Amtrak took over passenger train operations in the US in the early 70's, Santa Fe went to great lengths to paint their passenger engines into freight colors, including fairly new units such as the FP45, U28CG, and the streamlined U30CG. The red on the passenger F units retained by the railroad for freight service was repainted to blue or yellow, creating Blue Bonnet and Yellow Bonnet units.

ddf2a9f2f37efbe7c85f8af248d22adb.jpg

I've not railfanned too much in 20 years, but believe this is a standard CW40-8 (or C40-8W)... I remember when they were brand new back in the early 1990's getting them on a trip out to Tehachapi and thru the south west.

Was very pleasantly surprised to see one at the CSX former B&O in Cumberland, Maryland shops.

Lots of BNSF units running thru on oil (ethanol?) trains that are going over Sand Patch grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The small BNSF stenciled under the road number below the side window might disqualify it from being an "original" war bonnet paint scheme in the minds of some railfans.

That photo has an interesting effect as it looks like a model railroad layout.

Those badly faded, peeling Santa Fe units in red & silver are what I call war(p) bonnets. Someone reported that the peeling and fading was caused by a mistake in the paint formulation at the factory. You would never see diesels looking that bad on the pre-merger AT&SF.

wow! thanks for that info! glad the economy is improving enough to get these old girls out of storage and back into use! :)

A matched, patched & renumbered pair of SD70(?) War(p) Bonnet units have been making recent appearances on the garbage train. Here they are passing by the Edmonds marsh Tuesday (12/16/14).
05.JPG 06.JPG

They are actually SD75Ms; basically modified SD70s. I believe they were the last units purchased/ordered by ATSF before the merger with BN.

We get a few warbonnet locomotives at Mobest. When I go in tonight, I'll have a look at what's on the engine lead and snap pictures of any there.

I've seen a few where they swap panels between paint schemes too. Somewhere there's a warbonnet with an orange AC cover just behind the cab, and I've seen the corresponding orange loco with the red and silver panel in the same place. Both left a while ago though, so no pics.

We also get a mix of all kinds of companies. Yesterday we had 2 CSX's, a Ferromex, and a CPRail. I couldn't get close enough to read what they were, and don't know enough to tell by sight though.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back