Omaha's 50 Mile Limit

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Draw a 50 mile radius circle around Omaha and there are many things to see. Brother Rick and I covered a large amount of the area Saturday. From Omaha to Gretna to Ashland to Waverly back to Ashland to Valley to Oreapolis to Council Bluffs and back to Gretna. We saw many trains 3 at Ashland, 2 at Waverly. 3 at Gretna a bunch in Council Bluffs. It was a great day to be out. 31 degrees, cold and misty and a little wind. Ok, it's not summer but it's not 20 below zero either. Pics 1 and 3 may need to lightened a bit, maybe tomorrow

BNSF5784_112815.jpg WB empty at Oreapolis

BNSF6227_112815.jpg WB Empty North of Waverly

BNSF7902_112815.jpg BNSF 7902 EB with a NB train waiting to go up the Sioux City Line, at Ashland

BNSF1448_112815.jpg BNSF 1448 at Waverly with 3 cars

Last edited by a moderator:
BNSF Grainer_112815.jpg The Grain Train waiting to go north

CN5686_112815.jpg The lone CN Loco at Council Bluffs

Gretna Signals_112815.jpg Hey the signals are still in a pile at Gretna

BNSF9868_112815.jpg A SB empty coal on the Council Bluffs Sub North of Pacific Junction. I would see this one at Gretna in the dark a couple hours later.

ARE_PassCar_1_112815.jpg Some American Railway cars that UP bought?

ARE_PassCar_2_112815.jpg Some American Railway cars that UP bought?

ARE_PassCar_3_4_112815.jpg Some American Railway cars that UP bought?

IAIS516_112815.jpg And the prize of the day. IAIS 516

I went up into hills east of Council Bluffs reminiscing about the Wabash. The highest point on the railroad was at Dumfries,a couple of miles out of Council Bluffs. The sign where the passing track was is still there along the bike path. I'll photo it from the path someday. I wonder what a 2-8-2 or a Mikado sounded like thru the quiet bluffs.

Ice on Fence_112815.jpg Did I mention it was cold?

UP4758_112815.jpg UP at the North Yard in Council Bluffs

UP5601_112815.jpg UP parked some locos on 17th St for use later. This is at the east end of the UP yard on the transfer to the 12th St line

Lots of neat stuff Tom! The ice on the fence is awesome, it was just the right amount to take cool photos but not be too dangerous.

Any idea what UP is doing with those cars, they have shuffled a coupe of them around in the past few weeks.

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those search lights!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back