Omaha and Council Bluffs on Christmas Weekend in the Snow

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

brad_in_omaha

Omaha and Council Bluffs on Christmas Weekend in the Snow

1. The IAIS 601 and 650 return with a cut of cars from the UP yard in Council Bluffs
24004812905_13701aed7e_h.jpgSC8A5855
by Brad Williams, on Flickr

2. I believe this is the Bayard Train heading back to Omaha
23978704906_a3a80edf99_h.jpgSC8A5866

3. Same Bayard Train
23636918219_429b6233de_b.jpgSC8A5878

4. Same Bayard Train, leaving the BNSF heading on to UP Tracks to cross the river back in to Omaha.
23709082990_36bf8f6aa0_h.jpgSC8A5891

5. The Caboose on the Bayard Train
24004812705_2a0597620b_h.jpgSC8A5903

6. The Baryard train now in Omaha in front the the Burlington Station.
23636918049_5c2faafd77_b.jpgSC8A5928

7. Two UP SD40-2's in the Old Chicago Northwestern Yard in Council Bluffs. Its great seeing these locomotives back in town. 1681 has been rebuilt in to a SD40-N.
23930474641_9ffebf5e40_h.jpgSC8A5967

8. Two UP SD40-2's in the Old Chicago Northwestern Yard in Council Bluffs. Its great seeing these locomotives back in town. 1681 has been rebuilt in to a SD40-N.
23717331000_28f713f4dd_h.jpgSC8A5971

9. Finally a BNSF Grain Shuttle on the Iowa Interstate Mainline heading towards Hacock.
24013028935_bced36cd42_b.jpgSC8A5979

I really like the Black and white. Reminds me of the old days before there was color. I remember it well.
Thanks for braving the cold and damp Brad so that I can enjoy the photos in my warm office with an adult beverage.

Did you shoot black and white with camera settings or change it in the computer after?
Rick zorko

Thanks, I shot black and white film for several years, but kind of got away from it when I went digital. I keep telling myself to do more. I really enjoy it.

I converted these it in the computer after. I shoot in RAW, and with a canon, even when you shoot in B&W RAW on the camera, when you open it up in the computer its color anyways. Its taken me a little bit to get them to look the way I want. I have another set I am working on now that I think will look even better.

The UP still uses a caboose on the transfer that goes to the North Omaha Yard from Council Bluffs. It has to back down into the BNSF Gibson yard, usually in the dark. The last time I saw it, it a MOP red caboose.

I haven't seen the UP use a caboose since they put in the new switch in front of Amtrak. I don't see that local very often, but its been a long time since I have seen the MP Cabooses.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back