Officials: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy | abc7.com

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
This is so incredibly strange that I feel the need to add a disclaimer. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

SAN PEDRO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into and damage the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

The suspect told investigators he wanted to bring attention to the government’s activities regarding COVID-19 and was suspicious of the hospital ship.

LOS ANGELES — Prosecutors charged a locomotive engineer who worked at the Port of Los Angeles with intentionally derailing a train at full speed near the U.S. Navy Hospital Ship Mercy because of suspicions over its activities surrounding COVID-19, according to a federal criminal complaint.

Full Story:

Prosecutors claim Moreno ran the train off the tracks, and it crashed through a series of barriers before coming to rest more than 250 yards from the Mercy in an incident that was captured on video.

Ooh, I hope they release that video!

Very troubling. Was he an actual engineer for the railroad, or just managed to figure out how to make it go? I couldn't imagine a legit engineer not knowing there's no way in hell he could do anything that would come close to damaging that ship.

Very troubling. Was he an actual engineer for the railroad, or just managed to figure out how to make it go? I couldn't imagine a legit engineer not knowing there's no way in hell he could do anything that would come close to damaging that ship.

Apparently he was an actual engineer. It also appears that he might not be the smartest guy on the roster.

LOS ANGELES — Prosecutors charged a locomotive engineer who worked at the Port of Los Angeles with intentionally derailing a train at full speed near the Navy hospital ship Mercy because of suspicions over its activities surrounding COVID-19, according to a federal criminal complaint.

A ship is one of the few things a train would lose a battle with. A couple hundred tons at 20mph would probably put a nasty dent in the side, and scratch the paint, but unless there were also explosives involved, that would be about it. I know what that ship is made of, and while not armor-plated, it would easily withstand a guy with a 200 ton hammer whacking it once. She is a converted supertanker.
Fun fact: Russians refer to their ships in the male gender.

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back