NP 8mm, Pasco Yard, 1959

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

TrackWalker

Linky thing

This is the last from reel 2 of the TrackWalker family home movies. I will choose another reel and have it transferred to DVD sometime this spring and then pick out the NP stuff to post.

Until then...Enjoy!

TW

Captain92

I'm confused. The first shot shows a bridge and the top of the hump. There is no bridge there now. Was that the way 395 came into Pasco back then? Anybody older than me out there? By the way, love the old movies.
Lynn (the rest of the yard sure hasn't changed much)

Bruce Butler

Near the end of the video we see NP GP7 552 working the hump. 552 was an old friend from my days as a 12 yo kid hanging around the NP in Pullman in the 1952 era. 552 and 553 were generally assigned to the P&L. Almost new as 552-554 were built in 1951. I got my first "big" cab ride in the 552 out the Genesee branch with Engineer Al Bennett in June, 1952.

Stan Lytle

I'm confused. The first shot shows a bridge and the top of the hump. There is no bridge there now. Was that the way 395 came into Pasco back then? Anybody older than me out there? By the way, love the old movies.
There sure isn't any trace of it by looking at Google maps.

Youngwarrior

Youngwarrior
The bridge is the original 395. By the time I moved to Pasco in 1964 the highway had been changed to the east side of the yard. At that time it met highway 12 at an intersection controlled by traffic signals. Highway 12 crossed the yard on a bridge at the current location although in 1964 the highway was only 2 lanes.

Captain92

That's what I guessed. It looks like Selph Landing Road may have been the original hiway 395. It turns into Railroad and would have crossed the yard north of the hump and continued on down 4th Ave to town. I remember the hiway 12 intersection and the stoplight which is where I-182 meets Oregon Street now.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)