Night Shots - melding video and stills

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

nanosphoto

www.NanosPhoto.com
Not sure how many of you are familiar with my work, but I really enjoy doing nighttime photography, both using ambient light as well as flashes. When I use flashes, however, I tend to shy away from just flooding the scene with light, instead thinking about the shot and strategically placing flashes through the scene to intentionally create shadows and drama. It requires much more planning and thought, but I feel that it produces a much more appealing photo in the end.

Back in the winter of 2016, I decided to mix things up and shoot stills with flashes using my Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera, instead of my usual digital kit. I instead relegated the digital equipment to record video of the approaching steam train and catching the flash as I exposed the film. I melded the two media together into this short video - about a minute and 20 seconds long - which highlights two of the photos I took on two separate outings with the film gear. If you're curious, these photos were shot on Ilford Delta 3200 film, developed in Ilford Ilfortec DD-X developer.

This was taken on the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut where they operate a highly successful North Pole Express train in the winter months. They run three hot steam locomotives, typically 6 nights a week and at least three runs each, through November and December, and typically sell out every single train.

I'd be happy to answer any questions - and yes, the crews know where I'm at in advance and the flashes don't bother them. Part of my lighting design planning is to minimize the light falling on the cab.

This is a view of how art is made. These images capture the essence of steam.
I have been pestering Tom to post his photos here on the forum for a week or two. Being a steam fan, and knowing his work, THESE are the photos I was most hoping to see. They're amazing, and seeing the video showing them being captured just adds to the appeal. Kind of like watching O Winston Link do his thing!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back