Night Railroad Photography

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Do you do any Night Railroad Photography?

• Yes, I do shoot night shots

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • No, I don't care for it

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No, I don't have the Equipment

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • No, I don't know how to do it

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

brad_in_omaha

Anyone do any Night Railroad Photography? I wish I could find time to do more but it just never seems to work out. May be when it starts getting darker earlier. I have a blast doing it and you can get some really cool photos.

From this past spring:
IMG_7516.jpg

Yep I take night shots

I shot this one a while back at Brooklyn yard in Portland. I used a few flash bulbs to light it up. Came out better than I thought it would.

Scott

Nice images everyone.

It was almost night time when I snapped these a couple of months ago in Maryhill, WA.

In places where it really dark at night, like South Bend NE, the only lights that are there are the crossing lights when the train comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Night photography opens a whole different world and presents some fun challenges. I enjoy shooting at night. Examples of my night work can be founnd here.

I like seeing others' work but as far as doing myself it just doesn't push the right buttons.

I shoot night shots, but it is also something I desperatly need to work on right now. I am not at the point to pull off something really eye pleasing right now, as I know I need to work on this aspect.

For those of you who live in areas with passenger trains powered by the new Siemens Challenger engines, I suggest you take a few night photos of these diesels. The engine compartments are lighted and can be seen through the large grills on the side. To see what I mean, check out my photos of 3-31-18 of the Seattle-Vancouver Cascade on post #968 of the Pity Mile Post 17 thread:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29284-Pity-Mile-Post-17/page97

untitled-42.jpg

Here's a long exposure I took of a Siemens Charger locomotive at Crockett, CA. The LED headlights are super bright, and light everything up as the train approaches.

Chargers? Challengers? I wish Siemens had not named their new locos after a Dodge muscle car as I cannot remember which one is correct.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back