New Posting-N Scale layout help

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

safriedman480

Building an 11 x 14 U-shaped N-Scale layout. I'm using code 80 Atlas Snap track. All the track is down, and I'm using an MRC Prodigy Elite 10amp DCC system. I did not solder the track. I have stringers down, but when trying to run my Kato EMD SD70M with a TCS K1D4 decoder, I get stutter starts, stops, and no movement. I checked the voltage with a DCC voltmeter and have power to the rails. What can I do for more reliable train running?

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Sounds like dirty track, dirty wheels or a contact issue inside the loco. Is it the only loco that does that? Also remember DCC is a pulsed voltage similar to AC. So a meter will tell there is something there but not whether it what the decoder needs. There are many knowledgeable folks on the model forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)