New Mexico Railfan Trip Questions

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

auburnrails

Hey there :)

I'm heading on a railfan sabbatical of sorts to New Mexico next weekend and am wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I've only driven through northern New Mexico once - in August of '84 - but I remember how beautiful the mountains to the north of the interstate were. Too bad it was not nearly as busy of a mainline as it is today.

Anyhow, I'll be flying in to ABQ Saturday afternoon then driving to Gallup my first night. Sunday morning I'll head east, ending the day at Vaughn. Monday morning I'll head back west, then north to Santa Fe. Finally, Tuesday I'll head south to ABQ, departing mid-afternoon back to SEA.

My primary questions are:

1. What to be careful of in regards to taking photos. I know not to on RR property or right of way but I've heard that there are photo bans in some areas by the Native American's on that land. Wondering what anyone knows about that.

2. Any don't-miss photo spots? I'm must using a simple digital point n shoot so won't be going for magazine quality photos or anything. I will likely rise before dawn in each city so that I can get a sunrise shot or two, but other than that I just enjoy exploring, driving, and seeing a variety of trains in a variety of settings.

3. Don't Miss food spots? I'm hoping to hit at least one or two Green Chili burger places. I want to avoid chains and instead eat at hole-in-the-wall joints that have local flavor or harken back to an earlier era. I don't want to hang out for long - it's about the trains first - but would like to soak it up while I'm there.

I plan to try to hit Wig Wag Trains in Albuquerque as well as the Tuesday morning farmers market in Santa Fe. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions that don't get me killed or arrested. haha

This is the second year in a row that I did a solo getaway in September. Last year I spent four days in the Ontario-Barstow-Ludlow-Amboy corridor in CA and had a blast. I really needed the getaway and decompression time. I also enjoyed the Route 66 experience. This year Alaska Airlines announced nonstops from SEA to ABQ beginning in September and I bought the ticket the day I got the email. $198RT, which I'm happy with. So, it's "Railfanpalooza 2014" for me. :)

Thanks for any insight. I'm really looking forward to the experience.

-Dave

auburnrails

Thanks for the reply Bill. Unfortunately it's looking like my time in Santa Fe will be somewhat limited. I will arrive pretty late in the day on Monday and then will be leaving after visiting the Farmer's Market (or whatever it is) on Tuesday morning. I'd love to fit in an excursion but I just think I'll be too tight on time. One challenge for me is that, having not been there, I don't really have a grasp on timeframes between points. I remember last year hitting Cajon the day I got into ONT and I was amazed how close it actually was, how quickly I could get through the area, and how much I could fit in with just a short first day. I'll check out the schedule and see what's going on - you never know. :)

-Dave

ihasseb

This is the second year in a row that I did a solo getaway in September. Last year I spent four days in the Ontario-Barstow-Ludlow-Amboy corridor in CA and had a blast. I really needed the getaway and decompression time. I also enjoyed the Route 66 experience. This year Alaska Airlines announced nonstops from SEA to ABQ beginning in September and I bought the ticket the day I got the email. $198RT, which I'm happy with. So, it's "Railfanpalooza 2014" for me. :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)