New Member With a Question

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

SignalKid

Hello,

I am a new member here and I would describe myself as a passive railfan in the Columbus, Ohio area. Typically, I will go train watching on Norfolk Southern's busy Sandusky District which can see as many as 30 trains per day. For someone who does not own any railfanning equipment (or knowledge), it is a reliable place to view several trains within an hour.

However, I would like to broaden my horizons a bit, and this is where I could use some help. For my entire life, I have frequented the City of Delaware, Ohio and I have noticed that along one line in particular, I have never witnessed a train. I did some research, and found out that it is CSX's Delaware Cutoff which branches off from CSX's Columbus Line Subdivision. The tracks along the Delaware Cutoff are not rusted over, but are not shiny enough to indicate regular train activity. Again, I have never seen a train on this track in my 23 years. I checked with the FRA's website, and found that it has documented 1 train per week along the line. I am not sure how accurate this count is, but I would like to know how I may be able to find out when a train will run along the Cutoff? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

For some extra context, the line used to serve as a connection to another mainline track that served Delaware, Marysville, and Springfield. Conrail abandoned this line in the 70s, and the Cutoff became and industrial spur. This was abandoned by CSX in 2006, and the line seems to serve no real purpose today beyond possibly acting as siding for car storage. I would assume this line to be on its way to abandonment if it weren't for the addition of crossing signals and gates at the Glenn Rd crossing within the last couple years, and the upgrading of existing crossing signals at all other crossings along the Cutoff around the same time period.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back