New lense for XSi

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

DrewSD

Well I am looking to get a new lense for my XSi, currently I have the kit lense which isn't too bad but it seems to be a little soft around the edges. Basically I am looking for a lense that will give me a nice crisp picture all the way throughout the photo. I am not opposed to prime lenses if that will help me out, but it needs to work with the autofocus, I am pretty lazy plus I need a new set of glasses so I don't trust my eyes. My price range is under $300, maybe a little more than $300 too, but value counts. Anyone got a good opinion on what would work best. Thanks:D

kenw

5th Generation Texian
A lens that I recommend to any and all Canon shooters who don't already have it is the Canon Nifty Fifty, or 50/1.8. At $120 new, it is the best bargain out there. No it isn't a zoom, but the optics are extremely good (even moreso for $120!). The AF is fast and this lens is a wonderful introduction to primes and all the benefits of fast (f1.8) glass. I used one for many many years and only sold it when a friend was in need. I replaced it with the 50/1.4, which is a bit faster and has some non-railfanning advantages that I needed. New it runs ~$330, but for most folks the 50/1.8 is a much better value at $120.

50/1.8: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Another good choice is the 35/2.0 at a smidge over $300 new. Similar to the Nifty Fifty just wider. and over 2x the cost.

Unfortunately really good zoom under $300 is going to be tough. You may find a used 28-135IS somewhere (new they run ~$450), it is a good outdoor/daylight lens that is very well suited to railfan purposes. It would be a great upgrade from the kit lens (18-55?).

Last edited by a moderator:

kenw

5th Generation Texian
Thanks man
anytime. btw, B&H is the only online place I use for camera gear. Adorama gets good reviews as well, but there are a lot of places to stay away from, especially if they have prices lower than B&H or Adorama.

CSX 700

A lens that I recommend to any and all Canon shooters who don't already have it is the Canon Nifty Fifty, or 50/1.8. At $120 new, it is the best bargain out there. No it isn't a zoom, but the optics are extremely good (even moreso for $120!). The AF is fast and this lens is a wonderful introduction to primes and all the benefits of fast (f1.8) glass. I used one for many many years and only sold it when a friend was in need. I replaced it with the 50/1.4, which is a bit faster and has some non-railfanning advantages that I needed. New it runs ~$330, but for most folks the 50/1.8 is a much better value at $120.

50/1.8: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Another good choice is the 35/2.0 at a smidge over $300 new. Similar to the Nifty Fifty just wider. and over 2x the cost.

Unfortunately really good zoom under $300 is going to be tough. You may find a used 28-135IS somewhere (new they run ~$450), it is a good outdoor/daylight lens that is very well suited to railfan purposes. It would be a great upgrade from the kit lens (18-55?).
As Ken already said, a "really good" zoom is going to be tough for under $300, or even under $500 for that matter.

A Canon 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS is a decent lens and thanks to the fact that Canon has made it a "kit" lens with several of its DSLR's for the past few years there are a ton of them on the used market. You can pick one up thats anywhere from mint condition to brand new for $250-300. If you bought it brand new from B&H Photo Video it would run $455 and is simply not worth that kind of money these days. There are always a lot of them for sale on the Buy/Sell forum at www.fredmiranda.com . Its a great resource for buying used equipment.

The other real option is the Canon 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 II, though it has been recently discountinued and may be hard to find. This lens was a little under $300 brand new and was a pretty good bargain all considered. I still have one of these I use on a film camera and liked it better than I did the 28-135 IS. The 28-105 was sharper, quite usable wide open, something that was unthinkable with the 28-135 IS. Adorama has a couple used copies in stock.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
I Just seen a new 28-135 still in box someone had for sale for $150. they bought a new camera kit and didn't want the lens. I missed out on it as i will not buy a used lens sight unseen(Ebay). If you live in a larger metro area you can get some good deals on used but always check them. Take your camera and a lap top if you can, shoot a couple of shots and load into the computer and look at the pics. Spots on alens are almost impossible to see in the LCD display. I use a blue sky with no clouds if possible for the test pic, then you can spot easy. I have seen and missed some good deal lately, my buddy In Vegas bougth a canon 70-200mm IS USM for $550 3 weeks ago of craigslist. lens, hood, filters and hard case. I hate him right now. lol

Bill Anderson

brad_in_omaha

Well I am looking to get a new lense for my XSi, currently I have the kit lense which isn't too bad but it seems to be a little soft around the edges. Basically I am looking for a lense that will give me a nice crisp picture all the way throughout the photo. I am not opposed to prime lenses if that will help me out, but it needs to work with the autofocus, I am pretty lazy plus I need a new set of glasses so I don't trust my eyes. My price range is under $300, maybe a little more than $300 too, but value counts. Anyone got a good opinion on what would work best. Thanks:D
Not sure how I missed this thread. Must have been when I was really busy.

Anyways, I know a lot of photographers sharpen their photos after they are post processed and resized. Its not that the photos are not sharp, they just don't appear to be sharp after they are resized. I don't sharpen the photos I print, but I do sharpen the photos I post online. The full sized files look good when I print them.

Also, every lens has a "sweet spot" where it is the sharpest. I know when I had the Rebel with the kit lens, the sweet spot was F5.6.

Bill Anderson

Some of my bird photo friends use Tamron brand lenses as a less expensive alternative to the camera brand lenses such as Canon and Nikon.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)