New Guy With Railfanning Gear Question

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

QRR_Fan

Railfan
My name is Nicholas. I am new to the forums. Just getting into railfanning and railroad history. I work in a moulding and millwork lumber mill. I live a block from the tracks in Red Bluff, CA along the UP Valley sub. I have made a few trips up and down the Shasta route, the Feather River route, and a small portion of the Donner route. I am headed up to Dunsmuir tomorrow to catch a few trains in the snow. I am wondering what gear everyone usually brings on day railfanning trips. This is my gear thus far:
View attachment 123499
Sears KS-2 35mm and lenses
JVC Everio HD camcorder on tripod
Uniden Beartracker scanner in car
Garmin backpacking GPS
Rail maps
Timetable
Chair
Entertainment between trains

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
All I ever bring is my camera gear, lenses, lens towels, extra batteries, etc, tripod, my company two way radio(Narrow Band), water and some munchies.
I never bring a map or a timetable since I already know most of the subs that I have worked on but bringing a current timetable is a good thing to have to know where the control points are and it gives the road channels as well.
I highly recommend getting a scanner that is narrow band ready since we have switched to narrow band from wide band.
As for a camcorder, its good to have too, I don't use a GPS, my phone already has a GPS but I don't use it.
I like to travel as light as I can.

QRR_Fan

Railfan
I've considered it, but not in my price range. My dad got that camera back in '84 and it still outperforms any digital I own. He gave it to me a while back, and I've racked up some use on it. I find it as easy to use as a digital now.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)