New and seeking help on Georgia Railroad FP7 Loco...What color Blue?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Rob Rails

Hello All!

I am seeking help and hoping there are some West Point Route - Georgia Railroad buffs here.
My question:
Does anyone know what color Blue the locos were painted? A combination is also fine for example: Tru-color 3 parts Dark Blue, 1 part black, and 1 part whatever.
I looked and Tru-color, Vallejo, Testors, Badger, or even the old flo-quil paints don’t offer a direct color for either West Point Route locos or the Georgia Railroad specifically.

Context: I'm modeling the Atlanta Terminal & Union Stations area around Atlanta circa 1948-1956 and modeling (stripped Athearn unit and repainting and decaling) Georgia Railroad FP7 number 1003 - please see attached picture.

Thanks for any help, advice, information, or pictures you may wish to share.

Cordially
Rob Rails

Attachments

• garr1002 (1).jpg
    garr1002 (1).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 170
  • GA_FP7_1003_with_Train_4,_The_Augusta_Local,_waiting_to_depart_from_the_Atlanta_Union_Station_...jpg
    GA_FP7_1003_with_Train_4,_The_Augusta_Local,_waiting_to_depart_from_the_Atlanta_Union_Station_...jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 156
Find several (FP7 and other) photos in the sunlight. Look at different image searches, videos, and Ebay photos.

You will notice many of the photos look like a different shade because of the lighting, the film characteristics, and your monitor accuracy.

If you had a sample of the actual paints used, they may look wrong in your layout lighting.

Pick an available paint that is similar, paint some stripes with the light color (white? silver?) between the blue. Then look at it under your layout lighting. If similar to some of the photos, use it. If not, change and try again.

Bruce

Find several (FP7 and other) photos in the sunlight. Look at different image searches, videos, and Ebay photos.

You will notice many of the photos look like a different shade because of the lighting, the film characteristics, and your monitor accuracy.

If you had a sample of the actual paints used, they may look wrong in your layout lighting.

Pick an available paint that is similar, paint some stripes with the light color (white? silver?) between the blue. Then look at it under your layout lighting. If similar to some of the photos, use it. If not, change and try again.

Bruce
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I found a Dupobt Dupac code for the western of Alabama which was part of the West Point Route. At one point in time I think they were the same blue. As you mentioned all the other factors above will affect the "appearance" of the color on a picture.
I decided to go with tru-color blue and silver.
Thanks for the help.
Cordially
Rob Rails

Attachments

• 20210808_141233.jpg
    20210808_141233.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210809_064955.jpg
    20210809_064955.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210809_065001.jpg
    20210809_065001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 171
Lessons Learned
1. No matter what the prototype photo looked like, mine will look different. Is its going to end up as a best guess. So, just take an educated guess as a starting point and get started.
2. I need to practice airbrushing, shell prep, and taping anyway (see photo)
3. I began with an old FP7 shell and practiced - you know actually dong something versus endless hours You tubing and seeking others validation.
4. Who cares? My Layout My Rules. Nothing against “Rivet Counters” I would like to be as “exact” as I can but what is exact? All the factors Bruce mentioned plus infinite more will change the appearance the color.
5. Case In Point: I bought Tru-Color L&N Gray for an S7 Switcher. I was all excited because “they” said this “IS the Color.” Well, it wasn’t even close. It was way to dark not only compared to the proto type but compared to the image of what it was supposed to look like in my head. I’m sure it’s exact to their proto type on that day at that time in history on a mixing chart but in reality after 5 years of aging….
Thanks again for the help.
Rob Rails

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back