Narrow band change over time for a new scanner,again?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

UP_1995

I have two scanners a old Pro 100 from Radio shack and a VX-150. My question is with the narrow band coming would it be best to upgrade or keep my scanners? From the posts the effective date doesn't necessarily mean that it will change that date, however I understand that the mandate will go into effect this Wed. That said,what options do I have to play with?

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
There are some radios that has the capabilities for upgrades from the standard AAR bands to narrow bands, I have a portable Motorola than could be changed to narrow band with the proper software.

otlocal

Todd,To answer your question,i understood it would not effect your current equipment.If i'm misinformed about this, i would like to hear from somebody.Thanks.....i should read the instructions then put the B.B.Q togehter(i.e.Marks,post)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think those radios should still be good. If they were to go digital then it would mean a new radio. If i am correct it is just a bandwith change so most analog scanners should work.
I also could be totally wrong too.:D

UP_1995

The new UP Narrowbanding goes into affect at midnight this evening.
Uhh I just had a look at the changeover on the website I saw 7-1-11 for Boone,Clinton. Its just for these subs
UP Council Bluffs Area BLAIR All All est. 6/1/2011
Might want to take a look at the website again, Most dont have a date of 6-1-11.Alot do but some dont

UP_1995

Todd,To answer your question,i understood it would not effect your current equipment.If i'm misinformed about this, i would like to hear from somebody.Thanks.....i should read the instructions then put the B.B.Q togehter(i.e.Marks,post)
A post on TO told of this "Changing from wide band to narrow band means if the basic frequency remains the same the audio level will be less. Deviation in FM is the amplitude of the audio signal on voice networks. The higher the frequency of deviation means the basic frequency varies that much. However if they change the frequency then you will need to change the frequency but the audio level will still be reduced due to the decrease in deviation(audio level). "
So what i think he is saying is that it will be the same but the imput will be less, but not by much. Im seeing diffrent dates for switchovers some have been done, so with that said Im not sure ALL of the UP system will switch tonight.

UP_1995

Well the changeover came and went for the UP. I'm montering different UP channels via the web, so far no real change in audio is being noticed. Last night must have been after midnight I also turned on my scanner, I thought I heard train get a track warrent via Tara sub or the Jewell but fell back asleep before I could ajust and hear the end of it, so A the change didnt happen around here B the change had a minimal effect.

UP_1995

I do notice in comparrison to yesterday the audio is a bit more staticy today, then before. Last night 5252 was clear as a bell but today audio is staticy on my Pro 100. But other then that nothing to big

UP_1995

So the "change over" date is here for the UP Iowa aera. I have yet to hear any audio change. Dispatcher 19 still comes in clear.Havent noticed any change yet.

setxrailfan

John 3:16
The BNSF has switched to narrow band in my area of SE Texas on the radio towers only. One big difference is there is no bleed over on adjacent channels as there was before from transmissions made from the radio tower.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)