My MTC reproduction crossing signal

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

artfull dodger

I once had a full size crossing flasher, but it was to large and cumbersome in our yard. So I sold it and bought this reproduction of the Miniature Train Company signal from a gentleman locally. The flasher circuit is electronic vs mechanical in the original ones from decades ago. it is also cast alum instead of cast iron making it much lighter weight to move around. I hope one day to be able to afford one of the G12 park trains to run around our yard, but they are quite expensive if in running condition. Mike the Aspie
signal.jpg

I know this post is a few months old, but I'm wondering if you know who manufactured this replica that the seller had (and consequently sold on to you)? I'm having trouble finding any information about it online...

I was told it was a gentleman out in California did them years ago. Using cast alum instead of iron to keep cost and weight down. They also use an electronic flasher circuit instead of the motor and contacts to make the lights flash and bell ring

I was told it was a gentleman out in California did them years ago. Using cast alum instead of iron to keep cost and weight down. They also use an electronic flasher circuit instead of the motor and contacts to make the lights flash and bell ring

Any way for me to get in contact with this gentleman should I want a few produced myself?

I believe he has passed on now. I think he took an original and made new sand molds to make the alum castings. Best bet is to watch the discover live steam website, that's where I found mine

Mike,

The crossing gates/signals on our Chance Rides 24" gauge train ride were purchased with the ride, but were mostly built from standard metal electrical conduit fittings, 12 volt lights, and an alternating type automotive flasher. A few parts, like the black disks around the lights and the black rain shroud over the lights were formed from 10 gauge steel. The electrical control box is a standard cast aluminum police call box like used to be seen in many cities. The gate arm is 1 X 3" hollow square fiberglass, but the gate pivot bracket was mostly fabricated from sheet steel. The gate operates on compressed air, with the valves and air cylinder located inside the call box. I feel that these could be duplicated quite easily, with the need to only fabricate a few relatively simple to make parts.

If you want more information and photos, please contact me or post a reply here. We need an additional crossing light, so whenever the funds become available I may be building one myself.

Charley

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back