MTA Officers Detain Man For Taking Photos at Station

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I just don't understand why this continues to happen. We've been hearing these stories for nearly 10 years now. Everyone was hyper-sensitive after 9-11 and stops and checks happened to a lot of us. I even got stopped and questioned here in Washington State during that time. Now it's rare around here. Really very frustrating.

I'm not normally a fan of the Anti-Christian Liberties Union, but I will say that I am very pleased they are taking MTA to task on this issue.

I'm not normally a fan of the Anti-Christian Liberties Union, but I will say that I am very pleased they are taking MTA to task on this issue.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks of them that way.;)

I wish I could agree, since the only reason they're getting involved is because of all the publicity this episode has generated; after all, they do have to appear as if they're still relevant, instead of being totally out of touch with reality like all of the other self-interest groups.:rolleyes: Still, if some good comes out of it in spite of their efforts, I suppose it may be worthwhile. We shall see...

OK guys - this is veering into dangerous territory. Can we stay on topic instead of ACLU bashing? I can see where this could get nasty.

There was nothing wrong with my post and it was quite on topic. Expressing my dislike for the ACLU can hardly be called ACLU bashing. If you post something that includes a reference to a controversial organization, you cannot expect beyond a reasonable doubt that the topic will not arise as an offshoot of the original discussion.

Tommy - It's using the term 'anti christian liberties union' that I think is getting into political discourse and has no place here. We were discussing out of control security folks who seem to get their jollies by harassing railfans. Quite frankly if it weren't for the ACLU these kinds of abuses would go unchallenged.

I would give the policeman the benefit of the doubt that, though ill informed, they were doing the job they thought was asked of them. It's doubtful they get their jollies harassing railfans. We expect law enforcement to prevent the next 9/11 or Oklahoma City and we leave it to them to figure out how.

People will bemoan that we are letting the terrorists win and I say it isn't so. We still exercise freedom of speech. We have and exercise a right to disagree. Photographers disagree with the police and air their grievance in public. This is in part how our government works.

Following the event MTA sided with the ACLU and added a photo policy to their website.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...ers-mta-property-administrator-ralign-t-wells

http://mta.maryland.gov/filmphotoapp.cfm

Here is an interesting page on photography in general. http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

I don't have any love for the ACLU.

Of course, we don't know the entire story so I will end my statement now.

There was nothing wrong with my post and it was quite on topic. Expressing my dislike for the ACLU can hardly be called ACLU bashing. If you post something that includes a reference to a controversial organization, you cannot expect beyond a reasonable doubt that the topic will not arise as an offshoot of the original discussion.

Politics my friend....politics.

Regardless of whether or not you believe you are on "topic" as you say. You have made a political statement. And last time I checked thats not allowed in the forums here. ;)

Politics my friend....politics.

Regardless of whether or not you believe you are on "topic" as you say. You have made a political statement. And last time I checked thats not allowed in the forums here. ;)

It's only political if someone makes it so. I was simply making a statement about my disdain for what is supposedly a non-partisan organization. I'm quite aware of the rules of this forum, but thank you for expressing your opinion, however misguided it may be.

At least the MTA backed off after the threatened lawsuit came about....
icon_shrug.gif

At least the MTA backed off after the threatened lawsuit came about....
icon_shrug.gif

Exactly. It seems to have worked out in the end. Like someone else said, while there are exceptions, I think most of these officers mean well. They have jobs that they'd like to keep. I think the problem lies with the organizations not doing a better job of actually training their people.

It's only political if someone makes it so. I was simply making a statement about my disdain for what is supposedly a non-partisan organization. I'm quite aware of the rules of this forum, but thank you for expressing your opinion, however misguided it may be.

I'm not misguided at all Tommy. I've been on this site long enough to know, understand and comply with the rules.

Besides, the descriptor of this forum specifically states: "The "off-topic" topic. Jokes, humor and non-railroad related chit-chat. Please keep it PG rated, this is a family friendly forum. No politics or religion.."

And even if you don't agree that its not politics as you say, but expressing "disdain" as you say in your previous post does not really create the "family friendly" environment envisoned of the ANPL Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how it's never political when the politics involved align with your line of thinking.

Just sayin'.

Button it, folks. If the moderators feel that what's posted here violates the rules, they'll pull it. If you don't like what's said here, then ignore it or go elsewhere.

I think the idea that these guys were ill-trained for the job might be at base for this whole thing.

I know when I did security work way back i was not really trained in how to properly approach individuals about what they were doing...seemed pretty well left to my own discretion as it were...:eek::rolleyes:

Funny how it's never political when the politics involved align with your line of thinking.

Just sayin'.

Funny how you and TP never post unless it's to cause trouble or stir the pot.

Just sayin'.

If you think you know what my line of thinking is based off of one statement, then you're sadly mistaken.

but expressing "disdain" as you say in your previous post does not really create the "family friendly" environment envisoned of the ANPL Forum.

Thank you for the laugh this morning. That is quite funny coming from one of the biggest troublemakers RR forums has ever seen. Between you and the rest of the jokers known as the "Foamer Fighters", you have done plenty create an unfriendly environment. I don't think that the harassing of other members on this forum particularly creates the family-friendly environment that Bob has envisioned for this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back